draped surface command does not work as stated

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Brent...

It's fairly straight forward - select your roof and dormer to make them active (to select multiple objects, hold the shift key down then click on the object) You should then be able to go to MODEL >> 3D Power Pack and choose "Create Drape Surface" - you'll get a dialog box that basically is asking for how fine a "mesh" you want in your drape, maybe try the defaults at first and see if they're suitable. The drape is a 3D element so it can be textured - the texture I used is a stock Vectorworks texture called "Shingle Wood Irregular". This can be applied by dragging it out of the Resource Browser and onto your drape. (You may have to first get it from the Library) You may have to adjust it's Mapping in the Object Info Palette so it maps ACROSS rather than DOWN the slope of the roof - play with it a bit.

Guest Wes Gardner

Just move the drape UP by about 10 or 12 mm and it'll start rendering correctly - right now the drape and the roof surface or co-planer so Vectorworks can't figure out which surface is "higher" making rendering a bit odd

Wes where do you move the drape up; under "create drape surface" "plane z value". I tried 10, 12 and 14mm and none of these worked. As well how do you get rid of the extra drape surface. I don't have an active layer only. I have a design layer 1. Wes I'm a greenhorn and am not sure what this active layer only does.

Edited by brent kjernisted