Shortcuts to toggle between selection arrow and another function

wma

I know you can use the "x" on the keyboard to switch to the little selection arrow, rather than going to the tools palette, which is useful.

However I quite often am using, say, the trim tool (ie. the one with the scissors symbol that chops a bit of line out between two other lines it crosses), and am constantly switching back and forth from that to the selection arrow. (Trim a line, select a line and move it, trim something else, select a line and resize it, trim another line, etc.)

In this situation it would be really useful to toggle between the two tools with a keyboard shortcut. Basically what I want is a keyboard shortcut that will take you back to the tool you last used before using the selection arrow, whether that's the trim tool or something else.

Is there a way of doing this?

The "boomerang" or "pause" mode is called activated with the space bar as Ray says.

Press the space bar and by default you get the Pan tool. Hit the X key, you get the 2D Selection tool. Select or move the object and release the spacebar and you are back to the tool you had selected.

Not quite as nice as a true toggle tool command, but not bad.

It might be possible to write a menu command that would toggle tools, but it would probably not be very convenient.