Average File Sizes for landscape

Vanvector

Can anyone comment on average file sizes for landscape designs.

I transfer over autocad base files from architect, so i start off with a file about 1mb and then begin working on the file but by the end of the concept plan i seem to have a 15-20mb file. This file is slow to work with on my system. Is this a normal file size ?

I have quite a few classes, a couple of deisgn layers and are using sheet layers also.

thanks

it all depends on whats in your drawing, and how you structure it. using symbols reduces file sizes, and purging your plan once finished reduces the size as well.

using scans, jpegs, image props etc etc with also increase the size.

i tend to use scans of OS maps quite a lot and this can push the size up by 30-50mb alone before i start to do any drawing at all.

we also use jpeg aerial images as bases and to help convey proposed changes to the landscape, but we tend to reference these in to keep the file sizes down, but this can mean it can take a while to open the file in the morning, i did a tree survey recently and used aerial photos to help us as the topo was crap, and this took 17 mins just to open and reference the images in...