Worksheet Problem

mikey

I doubt this is part of the problem, but B3,B65 will only get you the values of cells B3 and B65, B3..B65 should get you the sum of all the cells between B3 and B65 inclusive.

Are you sure they are all just numbers? The only way I get a #VALUE! error is when I try to do a mathematical calculation on a text item. If you have a text field accidentally in the column, it should not cause the error, but it will stop summing at the text field, ignoring any data lower in the list.

Can you add an extra column with a formula of =B3*1, Copy that, select the cells equivalent to your data area and paste. See if you get the Value error in any of the new cells. If so, that will give you a place to start looking for your problem.

What version of VW are you using?

OK, I figured it out.

When you entered the numbers, you entered them as (i.e.) 5,000 and included the comma. This means that they were stored as text strings rather than numbers.

What you need to do is first format the cells (using the Format Cell... menu item from the triangle pull down menu above the row headers) and tell them that you want them to be Decimal and check the Use Commas box. Then enter the data as just the number without the commas (i.e. 5000).

The worksheet will then reformat the display to show the commas and the sum will work correctly.

Remember, that it will only sum as far down as the first cell that has a text string instead of a number. As I tried to explain in an earlier post, one fairly easy way to check for this is to include a column that does a mathematical operation on the original data. If it is not a number, you will get a #VALUE! error in the cell that has the bad data.

In Excel, I would do this by putting =B3*1 in cell C3 and then using the Fill Down command to copy the formula to the rest of the cells in the column. VW does not have a fill down command. Instead is has a Fill on Paste function. Select a cell and copy it. Select a range of cells and paste. Each cell in the range will have a "relative" version of the data copied in it. That means that C4 will have =B4*1 amd C65 will have =B65*1.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Pat