64 bit or 32 bit computer system

I have 64 bit, and VW went out of their way to tell me that they don't recommend using VW on vista64. That was in 2008 version. Unfortunately for them, cinema4d and photoshop cs4 ARE 64 bit, and the results are stunning. VW does work in vista64, and I've actually had no complaints about how it works.

• 2 months later...

I took the plunge. My new 64 bit Vista system Dell will be here soon. Dual quad core Xeon processors, 32 gig of Ram (16 was thrown in for free), 1.5 gig ram on the the Nvidia Quadro FX4800 video card, and some other goodies.

This machine should fly compared to my 5 year old machine. I think I'll only have to upgrade my accounting software. Quickbooks 2003 won't run on Vista from what I've heard.

Welcome to the 21st century! Made me laugh reading back over your first post - "64 bit will become the future standard". I was writing and running 64 bit stuff back in 1992 - I ported our banks large 32 bit suite of applications from 32 bit VAX/VMS to 64 bit Alpha/OpenVMS which took about a year including testing and data conversion. But oddly, 64 bit on a Windows application simply does not appeal to me.

Unlike closed shop VMS, Windows reliance on third parties getting it right and making use of the hardware makes it a mine field that I am not willing to cross even though I should be able to run 64 bit on my existing piece of kit. I personally feel that the applications that I run cannot take advantage the 64 bit environment to justify the move.

But its a nice piece of kit that you have ordered and hopefully the migration will not be too painful.

As of now VW is not 64 bit, and so actually runs slightly slower in 32 bit emulation. But your machine is super strong in all the rest of the areas, so that makes up for it.

I have two 64 bit programs, cinema4d and photoshop. The difference is startling. The speed at which things happens makes you never want to go back.

Oh and cinema takes full advantage of ram and of processors. VW doesn't

Ray, that is brave - I was going to do the same thing - just have not had time as yet but I will

W7 has had some better reviews than Vista - we have Vista on three machines that are used daily

VW was far better on Vista than XP and I do not get the reluctance there has been from MS users to use it - I really like it but admit I run it bare boned

W7 looks more promising - bring on W8 and I may dream but a 64 bit version of VW - maybe VW 2011 which can address heaps of ram

Been working today on a large site model and on my new machine updating it is quicker than my old but not that much - renders are

I took the plunge. My new 64 bit Vista system Dell will be here soon. Dual quad core Xeon processors, 32 gig of Ram (16 was thrown in for free), 1.5 gig ram on the the Nvidia Quadro FX4800 video card, and some other goodies.

This machine should fly compared to my 5 year old machine. I think I'll only have to upgrade my accounting software. Quickbooks 2003 won't run on Vista from what I've heard.

How did you get 16gigs of ram "thrown in"?!!!

Ray. Please let us know how you get on. It may inspire me to give it a try even if it is only for me to build up knowledge of Windows 64 bit. However, I was lucky to get my HP DJ130NR printer working under Vista let alone 64 bit and I don't think that my shadowing backup software is 64 bit.

That said, I thought that 64 bit version was supplied with Vista Ultimate but I have not seen any reference to 64 bit version on my Dell supplied Windows Ultimate recovery disc? Is it a download or have Dell knobbled my Ultimate edition?

I don't know much about Windows 7, but it would be the ideal opportunity for Windows to ditch 32 bit and allow developers to concentrate their minds on 64 bit versions - but it seems that there is still a 32 bit version.

All flavors of Vista come in 32 or 64 bit, you either have one or the other.

But not both.

The reatail upgrade disk includes images of both, but will only upgrade based on the previous installation. You can't upgrade 32 bit to x64.

Vista Home x64 is pretty common on computers sold at the big boxes when they have 4gigs of Ram. OEM versions of Vista x64 are not prohibitively expensive either.

64-bit DVD

If you have purchased a retail packaged product of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business and want to obtain 64-bit software media to install on your PC, please visit the Windows Vista website for details regarding how to order the media. 64-bit media is included in the box with the purchase of Windows Vista Ultimate.

This implies that I should, being an Vista Ultimate owner, possibly already have it. Although they may be saying that as I have an OEM copy, then I need to order the media.

It may be on the disk, but you may not be able to install it.

Also, the form in which it is distributed may vary between countries.

On the otherhand, if it is on the OEM disk then you may be able to install it by doing a clean install and choosing the x64 version.

Edited by brudgers

Mine - a dealer licence of some sort - they assured me I could reinstall of the disc back to 32 and gave me the disc and serial

All working ok except for twice three times a day - blue screens and then self reboot that is cyclical

Not a boot virus - I know about them

I explained it to the supplier - they said come back and we will clone and replace the hard drive

Lets see

Ray

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-xp/106425-re-kensington-expert-mouse.html

After one quick search

Oh ohh!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the machine and it flies. Dell had some kind of a special on RAM. I got 32 instead of 16. It's the most expensive system I ever bought for an upgrade....$4500. But it flies. The limitation of 3 gig addressable RAM for Windows XP makes up for the slightly slower speed of VW 2009 in Vista 64. The Ram makes the computer fly.

Only one driver issue that I resolved pretty fast. I have to upgrade my Quickbooks from 2003 to the new 2009 version but that was an expected problem. I also had to upgrade my Strucalc from 7 to 8 because the 7 version wouldn't run on Vista 64, it would have been OK on Vista 32....ok, bad luck on that one. But the upgrade license was only $150

So back to work.

I love my new signature.....

Do I read that right? You have two Quad Core processors?

Actually, thanks for the post. I am considering upgrading to a Quad core, and am considering the 64 bit, having heard that VW 2010 will use it, even if 2009 really runs on 32 bit.

Any thoughts on how the AMD processors work, or not for VW?

Do I read that right? You have two Quad Core processors?

Actually, thanks for the post. I am considering upgrading to a Quad core, and am considering the 64 bit, having heard that VW 2010 will use it, even if 2009 really runs on 32 bit.

Any thoughts on how the AMD processors work, or not for VW?

Most Intel Xeon series processors support dual cpu's (a few support four, some only support one).

AMD chips are instruction set compatable with Intel x86 chips due to IBM requiring Intel to cross license to AMD back in the very early days of the PC. IBM did not want to be stuck with a single source for CPU's.

AMD developed the AMD64 architecture (Intel's x64 architecture is virtually identical) and released it's first x64 Opteron Chips in April 2003 and the consumer targeted x64 in September of that year.

AMD has been producing chips running Intel instructions since 1975 without issue.

After hardware install issues my 64 bit system is running really well

64 bit, having heard that VW 2010 will use it [/Quote]

Is this true?

If so 64 bit with suitable Ram and fast graphics cards may provide real benefits

Last week we grouped two A4 imported Pdfs and on our old Dual Core with 2 GB Ram and 256 MB graphics could not rotate or move it without a crash

New machine - no problems

Old machine gave it additional 2 GB ram and new 512 MB Gigabyte 9800 GT - now it zings along a lot better

The file - 43 houses with lots of hatches, fills and probably 3000 hand made pretty 2D plants is about 150 plus MB

The new machine - turn everything on - CtrlA - Alt= will rotate around until you are giddy

I have what I call my test file - a 7MB very graphicly rich Pdf that slows down screen redraw - new machine much better but with it - it still stutters scrolling through it a little

Edited by Ozzie