Sheet layer naming

monkey

Question

now i know this is a simple request, and forgive me if there is an answer to this already but, when i duplicate a sheet layer it creates another with the same name but with a number after it, great, but when you start reaching double figures then the numbering is not sequential as 'sheet layer - 10' then comes straight after 'sheet layer 1' and so on

this is only a simple thing, but is really annoying, can this be sorted out, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

16 answers to this question

Sheet Layers, like classes, are listed alphabetically.

I like to have them in the order they will appear to the client. The work around I use is to add a prefix letter and/or number before the name (usually corresponding to the drawing number). ie.

01 Ground Plan

02 Section Thru Center Line

or

A01 First Floor

A02 Second Floor

E01 First Floor Electrical

This also makes it easy to insert a sheet: ie. 01.5 Detail

I've never had a 100 sheet stack, so 2 digits is always enough for me.

I wish the order of sheet layers behaved like the order of design layers.

michaelk

A Neural Naming Tree .. that's what is required...( just like the WorkSpace Editor ) the ability to grab a Design or Sheet Layer

and move it up<>down or nested within various Design/Sheet Series ... say Site, Floor Plans, Mechanicals.

It should facilitate flexible organization of each Project's file system.

This would include the ability to place Symbolic Links within Layers, Sheets, too.

i dont want to have to put lots of prefixes, i have 1 drawing code with say 30-40 sheets attached to it, all i want to be able to do is have

W.0123_1-1 sheet 1

W.0123_1-1 sheet 2

W.0123_1-1 sheet 3

etc etc

but instead i get

W.0123_1-1 sheet 1

W.0123_1-1 sheet 10

W.0123_1-1 sheet 11

W.0123_1-1 sheet 12

W.0123_1-1 sheet 13

W.0123_1-1 sheet 14

W.0123_1-1 sheet 15

W.0123_1-1 sheet 16

W.0123_1-1 sheet 17

W.0123_1-1 sheet 18

W.0123_1-1 sheet 19

W.0123_1-1 sheet 2

W.0123_1-1 sheet 21

etc etc

i am all for having the ability to move your sheet layers up and down as you like.

I want to control the lists, not have VW do it for me!!!!!

If you use 01 instead of 1, and 02 instead of 2 etc. your sheet numbers will be in the correct order.

That methodology is the basic solution to a computer's dumbness when it comes to ordering lists. Computers aren't clever - the only reason they are able to do clever things is because of billions of very simple instructions (aka code).

i totally understand what your saying, i organise my classes in this way because i have to otherwise i would spend ages looking for the class i want.

this is all about time saving, i set up a sheet layer exactly as i want it, and then use the duplicate sheet layer command to reproduce all the other sheet layers i need and replace the viewport in it depending on what i need. i dont want to have to waste time renaming sheet layers, especially in some large projects where i can have nearly 100 sheet layers. when you duplicate the sheet layer VW automatically puts a number after it for you, why cant this be changed so you have the option of choosing where you want it alphabetically, numerically etc etc as suggested previously. if it cant be changed then it should give you the option to rename before duplicating, saving precious clicks

i just want to save time, thats all

spot on christiaan, exactly what i was trying to put across.

this could lead onto a whole new subject of how sheet layers and classes are managed, and the ability to have sub-classes/ sub sheet layers as previously discussed in another thread i saw a couple of days ago, but i will leave that one for now.

It would seem with Batch Printing you would name the Sheet Name Layer that represents the Sheet Number then the Sheet name so when you print to PDF the PDF's have the correct sheet designation. And if you name them as such then the sheets will sort based upon the numbering and naming convention. 00 or 0 with almost all file naming with computers is almost a given.