Unable to convert a 2d symbol into an instrument?

kelrock

I imported a dwg into a new drawing. I am able to enter and edit the viewports created. I able able to select an 2d symbol. As an example, it shows up into the object info panel as Par 64_MFL. When I try to convert the symbol into an instrument, no such luck. The choices under Modify/Covert to "Convert to Instrument" or "Convert to Accessory" are "grayed out" and are not selectable. Any ideas?

I am able to edit the the viewport by "right click""edit design Layer". The way the drawing is built has the entire system (truss, lights, properties" as a symbol. When I edit he symbol, I am then able to select each 2d symbol (a piece of truss, a fixture, and so on). I select the symbol, it shows me that it is a symbol in the object info window, but it does not allow me to convert it.

The symbols (i.e. Par64_MFL) were grouped together with other symbols (i.e. 10' Truss). I am able to edit the grouped symbol and select each individual symbol. If I choose the Par64_MFL, it shows up in the Object Info Palette as a 2D Par64_64 symbol. If I use the Custom Selection tool, select find all symbols Par64_MFL, it will find them. But when I try to convert them to instruments, the choices to convert to instrument, accessory, light position, and multi circuit are grayed out. If I copy the selection and paste them to a new drawing, then I am able to convert to instrument. Strange??

The drawing was imported. It was originally a DWG. But that should not matter. The fact that the OIP sees the symbol should allow me to convert it into an instrument. For example, if I drew a simple circle, created that circle into a symbol with the name Par 64, I am able to convert that into an instrument. I cannot figure why if I copy the symbol from the imported drawing, paste the symbol into a new drawing, it then allows me to convert it as per normal.

I spoke with the draftsman who created the dwg. In Autocad, when you want to break up a grouped symbol ( a symbol made up of various symbols) he uses the "Explode" command. In VW I thought a grouped symbol could be broken down using Ungroup, but that option is grayed out. So what I did now was to "Edit" the grouped symbol, select all, copy, then paste it into the drawing, after I delete the original grouped symbol. The copy is convertible. It's sort of a pain, but I am not normally convert a large amount of DWGs into VW format. It is still strange that the original grouped symbol could not be converted when I had it in it's edit window.

I think the main problem is, you've been trying to make this conversion while INSIDE a symbol - the big one that includes everything. Conversion should be done from regular model space, not from within the editing space of a giant symbol.

Select any symbol you want to ungroup and choose Edit>Convert>Convert to Group, or ctrl-K. You can then Ungroup as normal.

It is misleading to talk of AutoCAD equivalents in VW, as it is missing many of the dichotomies of VW (2D/3D, classes/layers, etc). In this case, it misses the difference between groups and symbols. They have one construct for both: the block. Likewise, they only have eXplode to convert things downwards to simpler entities, whereas we Ungroup groups and Convert to Group higher-order objects like Symbols and PIOs.