Updating Referenced Viewports

OK, here we go...

I have a file into which I've drawn all my standard construction details. I have them grouped in that file the way I usually have them on my plan sets. I want to simply create a viewport in my working file of each design Layer (in the details file), so that I'm simplifying my work (ha!).

Creating the viewport in my working file went fine, but then I had to make a small edit. I double clicked the viewport to go to the referenced file and made the change. All good. But, now my working file VP is displaying the old info and there is no button in the OIP to update it. When I select "Update all viewports", nothing happens. When I go back to the details file, I get a message telling me the file will look different because the viewport is out of date (wow, ya think?). I dunno, maybe something more useful than that would be a better option for a message here (maybe like, "Would you like to update the viewport?").

Further, I cannot seem to just wipe clean and start over. I cannot erase the reference from the Create Viewport > Source dialog.

How do I update a viewport from a referenced file?

How do I delete the reference entirely?

Thanks.

Perfect. Thank, Pat!

This is an example of some of the inconsistencies I find in VW. I see no reason not to have the update functionality in the OIP, using the same button that one uses to update other viewports. of course, leave it in the references tab, too. Just make updating easier, as that's a common function.

cheers!

• 6 years later...
  • 5 years later...