Trim NURBS?

visard

I am trying to show a stucco panel on an exterior wall. Have used the Extract tool to produce a NURBS plane which has windows nicely cut out but I don't seem to be able to trim the panel to the exact shape I need. Have tried to manipulate reshape handles, trim tools, clipping - nothing works. Any suggestions?

After extracting the nurbs surface proceed as follows:

- In Top/Plan View move the nurbs surface out from the wall surface by its finished thickness.

- Switch to a front view (or whichever elevation view is appropriate) and draw a guide line at the required dado height.

- Select the nurbs surface and with the Option key held down (Control key on a PC) use the Split tool to slice it in two (use the guide line to keep it accurate).

- Discard the top part(s) and delete the guide line.

- Switch to an isometic view and use the Shell tool to give the dado nurbs surface a thickness.

WOW! Yes, Mike the split tool does slice the nurb but it also slices the entire building, it turns any wall it intersects with into a solid section thereby losing it's wall character and doors and windows disappear. I haven't checked your Dado attachment just yet but will, in the mean time do you have any less destructive tricks up your sleeve?

Thanks.

I've taken a look at your .pdfs and see that you were able to cut the nurb without destroying the wall. I'll reread your suggestions and try again. Thanks.

Edited by visard

AS GWS pointed out on a Mac holding the Option key down modifies the Split tool's behaviour so it only splits selected objects. (Apologies for getting it wrong for PCs where the modifier is the Alt key).

This modifier behaviour is covered in the online Help and the manual but many users don't 'discover' this because they don't read the section completely. The lack of any mention of it in the Tool bar message, or in the expanded tool information, also doesn't help people discover it. In my view two modes on the Tool bar would be a better and more user friendly solution.