Disappearing reshape handles and viewport error

Hi,

2 questions: the reshape handles on all types of geometry disappeared. The only way to reshape them is to convert them to polygons and edit them in the polygon mode.

2: When I try to create a viewport using the Convert to Viewport command, I get the error: Cannot create viewport on locked layer links. What does that mean? Also, if I use the Create Viewport command, it won't let me reference another file, just the current document. I checked the references in the reference tab and all is under control there, any idea what the problem could be?

Many thanks.

Oh, we're using VW 2008 in the office.

What is the selection mode of the 2D Selection tool. The first three buttons are for Disable Interactive Scaling. The second is Single Object Interactive Scaling, andthe third is for unrestricted interactive scaling.

If you have the first mode selected, objects will select and highlight, but there will not be any selection handles as you can't reshape/resize the object.