Importing rhino 3d file into vectorworks

• 1 month later...

I exported a baseboard molding as both dxf and dwg default files from rhino3d. I then imported them as single dxf or dwg files. All I ended up with was a rectangle with 3 lines through it. What is going on. It looks the same no matter what view I look at it in. I even tried to convert it to nurbs and that would not work. Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hi Mr.Gog,

I'm thinking about adding vectorworks to my apps. Actualy I use rhino and cinema 4d. I find rhino very good for drafting and 3d modeling but i miss documentation and detailing features. What i would like to know is if is possible to transform a solid imported from rhino using .sat format to lets say a wall or a slab and transfrorm the imported model to a native vectorworks model?.

Also, how good is the mesh exported from vectorworks to cinema 4d, i mean, when you export complex or curved objects to cinema is the result smooth and made of quads meshes? Would you mind posting a capture of the same model you imported from rhino to vectorworks but in cinema 4d?

Thanks in advance,

jos

• 2 months later...

You'll get generic solids as Mike said. If you want to model walls and stuff like that you should try Vw, may rhino can well with other kind of complexities.

If you apply a class to a Rhino object imported to Vw, you could make sections that look correct. You can edit those generic solids using protrusion, booleans, convert to nurbs surfaces, etc.

• 2 months later...

The answer depends on the type of geometry used in Rhino. If the model was 3D polygons than .dwg or .3DS is the correct format, now if the the model in Rhino was created with NURBS than you want to save it as a .iges format.

Now this next bit is a little strange but important. After you save the file as an .iges you have to delete the "e" in the .iges file extension and than import it into Vectorworks.

That should fix it. Let me know if you have any issues.

Cheers!

Brian