Best Mac configuration for VW?

How much RAM/memory is VW capable of using (12.5, 2008 or 2009)? I am still on VW 12.5 and have upgraded from 4GB RAM to 12GB RAM, but I don't see much of a difference in performance within VW.

As a test, I recently modeled a large beaded glass curtain (with actual modeled beads, rather than a texture... excessive, I know. With only 4GB VW crashed during the Geometry phase of rendering... now with 12GB, it goes a little further into the Geometry, but then gives me a dialog box that said something like , "Operation could not continue due to lack of memory", and then it crashed, still never getting passed the Geometry phase of rendering.

My specs are:

Mac Pro

2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

12 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM

250 GB internal HD w/ 500 GB LaCie external HD

I believe that since VW on Mac OSX (including v2009) is a 32-bit application the maximum amount of RAM that can be addressed is 4GB. Which explains why you don't really see any performance increase with 12GB.

I may be wrong- but I think to see benefit from over 4GB of RAM you'll have to wait for Apple to release 10.6 'Snow Leopard' and then NNA can release a recompiled 64-bit version of VW for the Mac.

Regards,

Tim

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. While watching my Activity Monitor I saw my System Memory usage approach 6GB, but that was while also running Photoshop, Illustrator, Keynote, Safari, etc, etc. On the other hand, the CPU was maxing out so I guess that is the cause of VW crashing on me while trying to rendering my glass bead curtain.

But why would I get a "Operation could not continue due to lack of memory" dialog from VW?