Could we have some 3d dimension tools, please. For starters:

OIP Readout of length/perimeter of facets and linear elements

Point to point dimension tool.

So that we do not have to resort to this:

Place 2d dimensions on aligned views and/or adjusted working planes

In the same view, Ungroup the 2d dimension objects

Apply True type text to polyline command

Convert to 3d poly

The above makes 3d objects which look like dimensions and are placed in 3 space, but they are not interactive, or efficient to create.

Unfold Solid command is a step forward, because the 2d objects it creates are dimensionable.

-B

15 answers to this question

I couldn't agree more.

Not being able to even get a radial dimension from a 3D object makes annotating viewports a much longer process than it should be. My workflow at the moment requires the 'over-drawing' of circles and arcs to get centre marks and dimensions. If the design is then altered the arcs have to be moved and/or resized to accommodate the changes. Other sorts of dimensions also have to be changed as they don't associate on a 3D object.

Please could 3D dimensioning be addresses in the next issue.

Guy

3D dimensioning please, or at least a 3D to 2D conversion, flatten image or something! Even if only for the multi-view sheets. I spend way too much time on this very basic and tedious task. I love VW and my Mac but I am to the point of giving up on VW. Is there really no other method but to completely redraw a 2D version over the 3D?

3D dimensioning please, or at least a 3D to 2D conversion, flatten image or something! Even if only for the multi-view sheets.

Mark, you can use the dimension tools on 3D object/models, but just not in a 3D view.

Top, Front, Side elevations all work fine without redrawing, but when you switch to an isometric/3D view the Dims still show in plan/2D, so they need to be on another layer or set up to be unseen when in a different view to that which you drew them in(or something like that).

But a 3D Dim Tool would still be better.

I could be missing something....., but I see no way to place a circular (or arc) dimension on a 3D object no matter what the view. Specifically I can't dimension circles on the items I place on a sheet using "Create Multiple Views". Ironically, this is the case where the capability would seem to be a basic requirement. Linear dimensions will work, just not the circles. It seems silly to me. It's not like I am asking to dimenson a non-planar view. I just want to easily dimenson a flat circle. Judging from this thread I don't think I am the only user with the problem.

If I am out in the weeds, please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Maybe Nemetschek can at least comment on this issue. Is it in the works, not possible, not of interrest? etc.

Have others had feedback from NVW on this?

The circular and arc dimension tools are specifically designed to get information from a 2D Object (the circle or arc) and automatically display that information.

3D Objects are not part of their scope.

You can either draw a 2D object over the 3D and dimension that or manually dimension the object.

We all hope that true 3D dimensioning will come soon.

I would not get your hopes up on getting a reply from NNA in the forum.

Sorry Mark, i should have pointed Pat's suggestion out.

Fillets/Arcs/Circles all have to be dimensioned using 2D objects placed on top of the 3D model.

It does sometimes depend on how deeply nested objects are, in some instances the centers of circles are hinted at if you have all the right prefs/attributes/etc. etc. checked (ask Pat, he knows these things off by heart)which makes it easier to drop a 2D in the correct position, but it's hardly a suitable solution, even when it works.

This has been requested for as long as i can remember, but like Pat says, don't expect any pertinent response from "The Powers That Be".

Vector Depot has a 3d conversion plug-in. It takes your 2d dimensions and makes 3d polygons out of them including radial dimensions all in one step (unfortunately, arc'd objects have to be dimensioned before converting to a 3d object). Also the dimensions are not constrained. Not exactly what's being asked for but a bit of a help nonetheless.

Vectorbits is also a handy site for plug-ins.

http://www.vectordepot.com/

http://www.vectorbits.com/VectorBits/home.html

Right. Thanks, Daryl. That plugin at VectorDepot, or one like it, has been available for a few years. It is great that there are so many talented, creative VW users out there providing add on products. I recommend supporting these creators and their products. I outline one method in my initial post to show that 3d dimension avatars (?) can be created within VW. I also want to keep the idea in front of in-house developers and see community response to the concept.

-B

My Wish List whine continues:

And that NURBS curve which winds through 3 space? How long is it? And what is the 3 space straight line distance between its end points? of any chord?

Could we pick two intersecting planes, read and adjust the angle between them via OIP or some new 3d Dimension Palette?

Converting 2d dimension call-outs into 3d objects is useful. There are plugins and processes to do that. I know I'm dreamin', but more is desired.

-B