eyebrow dormer

Hi Brent (and Jonathan), the linked page wouldn't open, but if is a true (curved-top) eyebrow dormer I think it would be easiest to a) cut a hole in the roof for it; b) draw three walls, and reshape the top of the front wall to the curve (see below); c) draw the roof profile, in a front view, and extrude it to create the curved roof portion (note: you might use subtract solids to remove the unwanted portion that extends through the main roof at the valleys); d) insert a window into the from wall.

To reshape the top of wall to a curve you can a) manually add vertices with the "3d reshape" tool; or b) (for "better") create some temporary geometry and use the "Fit Walls to Roof" command...

HTH's...

Guest Wes Gardner

The "Bat" dormer settings seem to have some issues...the piece of wall above the springline of the curved-top window doesn't seem to model correctly. The dormer returns don't seem to model at all...

I've submitted a bug.

Peter, wouldn't you use a clip surface command rather than a subtract solid command. If you create the window in vectorworks you can extrude a copy of the window and use it to cut the hole in the roof. If you take a copy of the shape of the eyebrow and move it down 3 and one half inches and extrude it along a path you should get the inside of the roof surface. I am currently using a demo disk of vectorworks and would appreciate any further advice so I can ascertain whether Vectorworks can do what I want before I upgrade. Perhaps someone has time to try and model this dormer and perhaps make a tutorial for the rest of the vectorworks users. Thanks!

Hi Brent, No time at the moment. But I'm pretty sure it can be done. If you can think it and build it then you can model it. The question that's more to the point is how long it'll take. I don't think this a particularly difficult problem, but I'm not completely sure because I haven't tried it yet... Roof objects are "hybrid" and "parametric". If you ungroup it you'll get a solid 3d, but you'll lose the parametric capabilities...

This is one done in VW10 or so, although with the fillet/blend to the adjacent roof surface only at the front, not up around the valley/intersection. I have my copies of both 2008 and 2009 locked up with renders for a while, so can't check how the fillet tool might work from this shape to the planar roof portion, but I suspect it could be made to work. Getting the roof texture to map correctly would likely be the hardest part.

This was done with an "omega"-shaped extrude (see wireframe pic, of the step just before solid subtracting), rotated to the desired slope, and then an extrude is made to match the roof slope and provide the plumb face, and the one solid subtracted from the other.

Here's a quick version, just to verify that it can work with the fillet all the way around the roof surface intersections.

(warts include no fascia, non-plumb fascia, left over geometry on the inside, no roof surface cutout, no window, etc.)

The steps here are to extrude an arc-shaped surface, tilt it, create a planar thin surface over your actual roof surface (use 3d poly tool in an isometric view, snap to roof corners, then tapered extrude, say 1/2", taper=0; or any of several other methods), add roof surface and dormer geometry using Model>Add Solids, select the fillet tool in the 3d modelling pallett, select the parobolic valley line, choose radius, press check mark. Next clean up with various solid subtractions to get rid of the warts.

I'm trying to model the window and have created the front view. When I go to the side view to draw the square profile to extrude the window appears in front view rather than appearing from the side. Why is this? Can I draw the profile in the front view and then select the path and then the profile. Chad would you have time to create what you see in my eyebrow dormer with everything cleaned up on the inside and outside with views of both. I'm sure you could sell this tutorial for a 100 dollars a shot to many people on this forum and elsewhere.

Sounds like you're working through the 2d versus 3d aspects of VW. What you draw in 2d stays on the screen plane. So, from a view that looks straight at the window, draw your window part outlines and extrude them. (I reserve extruding along path for times when it's really needed). Things extrude perpendicular to the plane of the screen at the time the command is invoked (try it a few times in different views to get familiar).

"Cleaning up" would be drawing polygons from the side or top, extruding them, (verifying their placement from another view), and subtracting them from the main geometry.

I don't do instruction for hire (I know some here do!), but feel free to post what you have and somebody will help you out, I'm sure. This isn't very tough stuff- I think you just have a few conceptual hurdles to plow through.

I drew the profile of my window and then extruded a 6 and one half inch square along this path. Is there anyway of then extruding this window face so I can use it to cut the hole in my roof. I could not do this so I connected six copies of the windows with the move by points tool. When I positioned this in place and tried the trim tool nothing happened. Should I have converted these to a group. Can someone tell me a way of doing this. Thanks!

What I did to cut the hole in my roof was extruded a rectangle around my window shape to create the window frame. I then did some booleon subtractions with a cylinder and boxes to create the shape I wanted to cut out of my roof and then I did a booleon subtraction in the roof with this extruded shape.In vectorworks these booleon subtractions are called solid subtractions. I may have spelled booleon incorrectly.

Wes that is looking really good. If you look at Mike M Oz's post, the 4th one down you'll see it is still a little different from what I had posted. Can you get it to look like the one that I have posted. Thanks for your time and effort. If you could do a video on the finished product I'm sure you could sell the tutorial. I'd pay for it. I'd even pay for the video recording software so you could do it. Exactly what kind of journeyman are you. Are you a draftsman. If you are I'd like to know more about your schooling. I'm a journeyman plumber but would like to learn how to design houses. Do you have any renderings of houses you've done. I,ve also done some framing and years of finishing carpentry. Maybe I shouldn't be putting this information in the posting. I'll have to read the rules.