Wall Styles (Use Class Attributes)

C W

In the past I would have layers for each floor of a project/type of work. For example, I would have 1st Floor Existing, 1st Floor Demolition, and 1st Floor New. Today however, I am going to try breaking down my wall types via classes. My hopes is to have one layer per floor, and have one wall type but have it set to different classes (Wall 01new, Wall 01existing, Etc.). Accordingly, I will have fewer layers and wall types, and be able to turnoff work types (Demo, new, etc.) in VPs via class management. First of all, does this seem logical? Secondly, I have attached a wall that I believe to have set to "Use Class Attributes" but is is not taking on the classes attributes... am I missing something? Thanks.

Edited by C W

From a technical standpoint it makes sense. From a practical use standpoint I don't know. Hopefully someone else who uses a similar system can chime in.

It appears that if you get the setting right, you can make a styled wall take on the class attribute. You need to set both the Wall and each cavity individually to use the class style. The cavities should be set to use so they will pick up the attributes from the class assigned to the wall.

I've gone back and forth a few times between demo-by-class and demo-by-layer, and I'm currently back in the demo-by-layer camp. I do keep existing to remain and new in a shared layer, seperated by class.

Current reasons are:

1. It's easier to stack a section viewport with just the demo walls under my regular building sections, with the demo layer's section cut having different properties than the existing and new. I don't want to show demo stuff beyond the section plane, I don't want any solid fills, I want dashed lines, etc. And the demo VP rarely needs updating, reducing re-render times. Most of this can be achieved through overrides within a section viewport showing new, existing, and demo together, but not all, as easily.

2. VW still has problems with coincident wall ends, either breaking their joins or joining to infinity, even between grouped and locked walls. Seperating them by a layer fixes this.

3. I retain a copy of the entire as-built plan in the file since the demo walls are never deleted. This is often a quick and handy reference. Seperating the demo stuff by layer keeps "others" from accidently clipping, trimming, or corrupting the as-built.

CW,

your attached file seems to be working fine at my end with taking the class attributes. As a test, if you change the attributes of the demo class to have a thicker line weight, you will start to see the wall becoming dashed as you intended.

What you need to be careful with is the classes of the individual components and managing their classes. I know others have wanted to have wall components be assigned to a class and in some cases that makes sense. But if you want to control the entire wall with one class like wall-demo or wall-new, then it's a bit more challenging if you also want the wall components to show.

btw, I like having the demo plans on a separate layer if the demo is intensive. Otherwise if it's pretty straight forward, I usually have walls with a demo class on the same layer.

Maybe the wall components could be turned off or grayed via the class so you could get the drawings you want to produce in a readable fashion.

Hope that helps.