Transparent Backgrounds - How?

LUMINA

Transparent requires an Alpha channel. VW allows assignment of alpha via texture mapping>transparency>image mask. Export via PNG supports Alpha. You can also assign a video legal color like green or blue to alpha and then knock it out later during mask processing of the video just like in Photoshop.

thanks, are there step by step instructions for this somewhere? I've been trying to locate this info in the Help files but it's hit and miss.

One thing I just tried was to apply a single color (Chroma Green) as a Renderworks background. Then rendered the animation and the background remained, now I can hand it over to my Video department and they can knock out the chroma green...should work, I'm waiting to hear back from Video.

Hey everyone, my experiment worked great. Just got back from my Video guys.

All I did was choose the Rosco Digi-Comp Chroma Green color from the VectorWorks color Palette and specified it to be used as the Rendered background. My Video department simply Keyed out the chroma green and viola, a transparent background. Works great!

This techniques can be used for any renderings or animations that require a "Alpha Channel" or transparent background.

Kenny Green

Owner - LUMINA Technical Design

VW 2009, RW 2009, SpotLight 2009

Win XP, SP2

Intel CPU

http://www.luminatechnical.com

ok, all done. Now both files are uploaded. To summarize, my experiment was to take a VW orbital animation I created of 4 rotating plasma screens with the company logo and apply a chroma key Green background for the purpose of later applying a background video behind the rotating screens(since VW and Renderworks do not have these mapping options).

Once the rendering was completed, the chroma green back ground was keyed out using Final cut pro and replaced with a live video piece from Stage8 Productions. This techniques works great.

both of these example files reside at http://www.LuminaTechnical.com/rendering.html

scroll to bottom of page for the files.

You can also reach me at kenny@luminatechnical.com

• 1 year later...
via texture mapping>transparency>image mask

Sorry to labour this..but I would really like to be able to render out a view of my models with a transparent background, in order to drop into site photo. I would be eternally grateful if someone could spell out the steps just a little more..many thanks