Print to .PDF

I just bought Acrobat 5.0. Runing 8.5.2 on a 1ghz/512mb RAM PIII WIN2000 machine. Saving a simple 2D Vetorworks file to .PDF takes nearly an hour. This doesn't seem right. I've read in other posts that you can install a 'virtual printer' (on a Mac, at least) Here's how I'm doing it: In Vectorworks, go into the file menu, select 'print' and an 'acrobat distiller' option shows up along with my other available printers. Upon clicking this option, I get a menu asking for a filename, and asking to save it as a print (.PDF) file.

Close to an hour later, it finally does save, and the pdf file looks great, but it seems like it shouldn't take that long. Also, how do I get it on one big page (i.e 36x36 instead of 12 8-1/2x11's. I've tried changing the print size in file/print setup, I've tried entering custom sizes in the acrobat options menu, and still, all I get is 8-1/2x11. Any other WIN2k users out there?