Open Drawing Window

I feel really dumb asking this, and I am still a bit of a noob so go easy!

The window that pops up when you open another drawing has a green + sign (Mac), this maximized the window. Now, no matter how I re-size it or hit the + again, the next time I go to open a drawing it is maximized again. It is starting to piss me off, does anyone know how to change that?

If this is your biggest problem, then I am guessing life is pretty good.

You might want to check under Vectorworks Preferences to see what your

palette margins are set to. I like to have mine on "both."

This screenshot is from VW2009, but this setting is also found in VW2008:

picture2ce8.png

Ya, things are pretty good!

Thanks, I tried that and my settings are identical to yours. When in full screen mode, if I hit the green + it makes it smaller and sticks in the lower left corner of the screen. I also tried turning the palette margins off, same results.

bump, anyone know how to fix it? is it an OS issue?

Edited by rb-arch

Variables for new VW drawing window size involve position and visibility of the OS10 Dock and position of VW palettes. The following assumes VW pref for both left and right palette margins, and VW palettes are properly docked. FYI, a VW palette is docked when it snaps to a position near the screen edge . It's not too hard to find the snap line by drag & release. Here are a couple situations as they play out on my system:

If OS10 Dock is at right and set to always visible:

VW will open a new window btw the L & R palette margins only if there is at least one palette docked on each side of the screen. New drawing window will extend to screen edge if no palette is docked on that edge.

If OS10 Dock is at right and set to Auto Show/Hide, then a new VW drawing will open with window extended to right edge no matter what position of right side VW palettes. Docked left side palettes will constrain edge of new VW window to clear the left side palettes.

Did this change in VW2009?

-B

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, the dialog box. I'm running 2009 now, and the Open/Choose File dialog box opens smallish and centered as expected.

Even if I maximize it (green button) and open/save a VW file, the next time I use VW's Open menu, the dialog box opens small and center. Same small size results if I manually resize the Open FIle window prior to choosing a file. So what you are experiencing is new to me and would really annoy me, too.

Could this be a corrupt preference file, or some some system problem? Maybe one or more of the usual fix-all procedures could help?

Shutdown and Restart your system.

Trash the Finder plist and restart.

Trash the VW plist and restart (you may be asked for your VW license number when you relaunch, so write it down before you quit VW and trash the VW plist).

Repair permissions (never seems to do much, but worth a try)

Insight from others?

-B

Thanks Benson. I just restored the Mac from backup last night, so the disk permissions should be clean (fyi my power supply went and corrupted my hard drive so we had to wipe it clean). However, the restore kept his annoying problem. Maybe I will try dragging the vectorworks 2009. plist to my desktop then starting up again. Shut down and re start don't work.

Edit: dragging the above noted plist file to my desktop then restarting did not work :mad:

Edited by rb-arch