Workflow for landscape architects

MLDgib

I'm new to Vectorworks and am interested in how other offices are setting up workgroup referencing for landscape architecture projects.

I've started using a workflow similar to what I've done in the past in AutoCad:

1. A base map file (where I import dwgs and updated dwgs).

2. Seperate files for landscape, hardscape and irrigation. The base map will be referenced into the hardscape, then hardscape referenced into landscape, and landscape into irrigation. Each file, except the base map file, will have its own sheets to print.

3. A seperate detail sheet, and referencing details (individual files) into this to set up detail sheets and print.

Am I on the right track? Better ways to do this?

Thank you.

It will work having separate files but do you really need to? A common problem I have with this type of setup (Acad and Microstation) is that people forget to send all referenced files or they send outdated files and it becomes a mess if this happens.

In my experience it is better to keep as much of a project in a single file and use layers for the different design parts which is one of the advantages of VW over other CAD programs.