illiterate newcomer

I am a contractor who is basically computer illiterate, but that can see the advantages of Cad drawings. Is there anyone out there that self-taught themselves how to use this program, and could offer any insights as to joys/frustrations? Is there a separate forum for newcomers?

I've taught myself to use VW and suspect that the vast majority do also. Use any resources you can afford, though! Take classes. Learning about computers at the same time increases your work a bit, but it's doable.

I don't know of a separate forum for beginners..I've never seen any question here or in the discussion group, no matter how simple, responded to except with respect and helpfulness. So, probably the separate forum is unnecessary. Just ask away. I got started with J. Kent's Works Tutorial and Works Manual (for VW8)(See "Improbability Press")and recommend them. There are many resources: explore this site throoughly, try the discussion group; mostly struggle along using the program and learning the basic concepts, many of which are shared across most CAD programs. There are seminars, user groups, a CD (all on this site I believe) and also U. of Penn offers some sort of online courses in VW (directed @ landscape design I think, but probably useful nontheless). If you are truly starting out with computers, you won't be using VW productively for some time; it just takes a while.

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by Lyle Barnes:

I am a contractor who is basically computer illiterate, but that can see the advantages of Cad drawings. Is there anyone out there that self-taught themselves how to use this program, and could offer any insights as to joys/frustrations? Is there a separate forum for newcomers?

I was in the same place as you. I took maybe a year to really begin reaping the benifits of CAD- today its an indipensible tool that I use every day. Start with the basics-and remember, unlike pencil drawing-CAD is more about scale, and less about just drawing lines.

I also recommend Janis Kent's books, though so far I haven't seen anything for VW9 at her site, (www.improbability.com) if you are looking to use v.9.

And, I second the 'patience' thing. The initial curve will be steep, especially if you are attempting 3D, but believe me, it is learnable.

You can avoid some of the heartache by having enough hardware muscle that you are only struggling with the software, not the hardware as well.

Good luck and welcome.

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burns:

I've taught myself to use VW and suspect that the vast majority do also. Use any resources you can afford, though! Take classes. Learning about computers at the same time increases your work a bit, but it's doable.

I don't know of a separate forum for beginners..I've never seen any question here or in the discussion group, no matter how simple, responded to except with respect and helpfulness. So, probably the separate forum is unnecessary. Just ask away. I got started with J. Kent's Works Tutorial and Works Manual (for VW8)(See "Improbability Press")and recommend them. There are many resources: explore this site throoughly, try the discussion group; mostly struggle along using the program and learning the basic concepts, many of which are shared across most CAD programs. There are seminars, user groups, a CD (all on this site I believe) and also U. of Penn offers some sort of online courses in VW (directed @ landscape design I think, but probably useful nontheless). If you are truly starting out with computers, you won't be using VW productively for some time; it just takes a while.

Carl

Thank you Carl, for the time. I tried Kents Tutorial for Mini-Cad, but didn't hav e much luck. However, I was never able to figure out if it was me, the computer, or the tutorial. Never hurts to try again.

My Basic recommendation is practice and patience. I knew no other CAD before MiniCad (now VectorWorks) and it took me a few weeks to get the hang of everything.

One of the Best things I feel that helped me was creating my own Workspace that allowed me to use my right hand for the mouse, and put the most used tools on the left side of the keyboard for my left hand. I simplified the arrangement in a way that made sense to me.

Ex. I made "T" text, "S" single line, "D" double line, "R" rotate ... and you can personalize it according to your needs.

After going into workspace editor, be sure to check "create a new workspace" so nothing original gets undone. From there it is relatively easy to figure out how to drag your tools to the places you want them.

• 2 years later...

I would suggest perhaps trying VW for beginners by Jonathan Pickup Archoncad . His manual has been very helpful to me. He teaches the very basics and the exercises in the manual are very good at learning how to us the tools, as well as the concepts and use of classes, layers and saved sheets. The author is very responsive to questions that I've had about his book and the program. It is also geared toward the architect so it will be particularly helpful for you, being a contractor (which is what I do) I was a little worried about the units (the book uses metric, not imperial) but this proved to be no big deal since the use of the tools, etc. is the same. (Actual left me thinking I wished we used metric here)

I am also a contractor that now has a few good years into learning VW. I also recommend to use as many resources as possible. I went to those expensive seminars, read manuals in coffee shops before work, & studied 3rd party resources like Janis Kent. (I would only use resources that apply to the VW version that you are using to avoid confusion!) Reading the tech board is a great resource. The words will make sense later, just keep exposing yourself. Go to a local user group if possible. Then start drawing details that will help you thru a job. Once you get a feel for it, make a commitment to draw a set of blueprints. Nothing speeds up learning like a little pressure. You can only learn by doing it. But make sure to give yourself some time; it is very slow at first but will soon pick up speed. If you plan on getting older and less physically able, this is a great way to communicate your hard earned building experience to others less fortunate!

I learned VectorWorks on my own, without buying any books, and only occaisionally referring to the User's Manual.

I suggest devoting several hours to just trying everything out -- not trying to draw anything, but just seeing what the program does:

--Select each Tool on the 2D Tools palette and watch what happens as you click and click-drag around the screen. Be sure to try each of the Options for each Tool (select Options by clicking the buttons that appear just above the upper left corner of the drawing).

--After that, start experimenting with the Commands on the pull-down menus. Some of them only work if there's a selected object or multiple selected objects, while others apply to the drawing as a whole.

I still spend a little time every week trying out things just like that, even after 5 years with VectorWorks.

This "General Discussion" forum is the right place to ask questions. Ask as often as you like. Your questions will be easy for experienced users to answer, and they'll make us think we're smart.

i'm also mostly self trained and have to agree with all that's been said so far. also over years of working have helped train a few people for offices i've been work in. thing i find is once you a basic understanding, commit yourself to doing a real project on cad. i found (and would seem to be the case with others) the ideas don't crystallise till your trying produce real work.

Oh and don't be scared to do a test prints just to get the feel of what's on screen will be on paper.

unlike other CAD packages, you can easily start out on your own with VectorWorks. As a lot of other users I just started using it, the manuals on the left of me and a bowl of patience on the right [Wink] . You have to keep one thing in mind though: it is a good thing to follow a couple of introductory courses, because that way you will immediately learn the most efficient way to do things.

Good luck and kind regards,

BaRa

Lyle,

At one time I taught a little drafting with pencil and paper but now, like you, I am a contractor (albeit semi retired). I started with MiniCad 6 and at that time they sold the program with a number of QuickTime movies that you could run on your computer. I think they stopped this practice with MC8 and now sell these separately. If you can come up with old copies you can learn an incredible amount just by playing these one minute movies and practicing as a many of the basic tools have not changed that much. VW is fairly easy to learn and , at the same time, very sophisticated if you want to really use all its power.

Richard

VW is a very intuitive program for "drawing". Once you grasp the way it "thinks" and become familiar with the tools... you can really begin to be productive. When we draw with a pencil, we do it one line at a time.... VW is not like that... although you could do it that way. VW is more akin to drawing the way you "think". More than that I cannot say in a paragraph. I learned by doing, picked up a Janis Kent along the way, but 99% was just discovering the power in the program as I "needed" it having a foundation of skills to bulld upon.