Insertion of 3D tapped holes

BruceT

Either I am missing something or the tool for insertion of 3D tapped holes is very poorly implemented. The tool does not really insert a 3D tapped hole, rather it places a model of a 3D hole laying down flat in the ground plane. It is then necessary to rotate the hole to the correct orientation and move it in 3D space to where you want to insert it and then finally subtract solids. It seems to me that if you are going to provide a tool to insert a hole in a 3D object it should, at a minimum, place the hole in the current working plane rather than the ground plane. Secondly there should be an option to insert the hole in a top-view mode since normally your working plane is set to the surface of the object where you want the hole.

Please let me know if I there is an easier way. If not, I will submit a feature request.

HI BruceT

It's nice to know that someone else is having similar problems, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who used the 3D hole (and nut and bolt) stuff. Yes you're right, it is a really pain. It makes no difference even if you're using a different working plane, everything gets aligned to the ground plane and not even position to the insertion point.

It seems to apply to bolts, holes and most 3D plug-in objects in the Machine design module.

Can I ask, do you have any problems with the 3D holes (or bolts) realigning themselves after saving and then re-opening a file? That is also a pain and never happened with VW 2008. I have been on to NNA but they don't seem to be able to replicate this anomaly.

All the best

Guy

Threads, (holes and otherwise) are very poorly supported in VW. They work now(after a fashion) but control is limited.

A simple solution to this problem would be if rotation was available in the OIP in all 3 Axis. X,Y and Z.

Have you tried double clicking on the Thread icon to get more input at creation of the thread? You can then set the rotation(even if only on one Axis) and see it in real time as you create it.

Guy, i haven't come across your problem either . . . .