Hide Worksheet Row Subdivisions

HP Sauce

Question

Please make it possible to hide the entry divisions like you can with database headers.

In example: Create a standard Wall Area worksheet. The totals header row (row 3) has the figures you want. For our material takeoff cost estimates the sub divisions are irrelevant (row 3.1 up until header 4). These rows should have the option to be hidden, giving you a finished result of something like:

Row___Mark____Wall Style____Total Area___Total Length

3______1________8" CMU______100 sq ft______100 ft

4______2________4" Veneer____100 sq ft______100 ft

Instead of:

Row___Mark____Wall Style____Area_________Length

3______1________8" CMU______100 sq ft____100 ft

3.1____1________8" CMU______20 sq ft______20 ft

3.2____1________8" CMU______20 sq ft______20 ft

3.3____1________8" CMU______20 sq ft______20 ft

3.4____1________8" CMU______20 sq ft______20 ft

3.5____1________8" CMU______20 sq ft______20 ft

4______2________4" Veneer____100 sq ft______100 ft

...etc. hopefully this makes sense!

6 answers to this question

There are a couple of of ways to do what you want.

First, It looks like you are making multiple databases, one for each wall style. If this is the case, the easiest solution would be do make a single database and use the SUM icon/tile to sumerize each wall type to a single row. Just select a row in the database and drag the icon to the column header you want to sum on.

Actually, this would work for your individual databases as well, you would just hide the row headers so you don't get double data.

Another possibility would be to not use a database row at all, but just you the functions with the correct criteria.

You should be able to put in a function like

=CriteriaSurfaceArea(WST='8" CMU')

or

=Length(WST='8" CMU')

and you should get the area or length of all the walls with a style of 8" CMU without having to create a database.

Another possibility would be to not use a database row at all, but just you the functions with the correct criteria.

I'd advice against this. It is all too easy to forget to include something - especially a something you don't think is in your model... Likewise easy to have a wrong label for the calculation cell. Well, at least for us mere mortals it is.

At least one should have a cell that calculates the area of all walls and compares that to the sum of these individual calculations.

(WST='8" CMU')

Aha. Strange, the tech support guys said it was not possible to use a specific wallstyle in a formula. Obviously this is not the case, so using this (plus the SUM button) we can amend our reports accordingly. Cheers!

PS That said, I do agree with Panta's theory of making it less prone to human error (which is half the point of auto reports/schedules i suppose).

I just created a file and a wall style with the name 8" CMU and drew 2 walls in that style.

I put the exact formula you listed above into a worksheet cell and get a numberic result.

Two things to check.

1. Make sure you have exactly the correct wall style name. If you have an extra space (or too few spaces) between the parts, you will not get the correct result.

2. Check and make sure the cell is formated as a number and not as a boolean.