Design Layer Viewports = Huge file size

Dear all,

Having a bit of trouble with file sizes when using design layer viewports (DLVP's). When referencing files and creating just a few DLVP's the file size gets very big very quick, it seems that absolutely every bit of information gets referenced.

We used to use the 'traditional' method of referencing files and choosing which design layers you wanted to reference which then appeared as italics in the design layers. Whilst you were unable to crop, move or rotate the referenced layer, the file sizes remained relatively small.

I am worried that we will have to go back to the 'traditional' method of referencing as a file size of 190mb is almost unworkable because it is so slow.

Is anyone else having this problem or are we doing something fundamentally wrong when using DLVP's?

Thanks

Tom

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In regards to the huge file size, there is an option not to save reference cache to disk. This will reduce your file size, however, you will be required to update the reference when you open the file.

For the slow down, here are a few questions:

1. What version of VW are you running? A detailed signature will be helpful here.

2. What exactly is slow? Reference update speed, DLVP draw speed? Could you please provide details?

3. Does the slow down happen always, frequently, or sometimes?

Best Regards,

Tolu

I have a similar problem. In a file I am working on now I tried to keep the size down by reference some external PDF files. I also have Design Layer Viewports in the file. The file itself is only ca. 32MB but when I try to export a PDF of a complicated sheet layer in A3 with several viewports of referenced PDFs I end up with an exported PDF of 1.2GB!!! How can I slim this down? Also, VW grinds to a halt when working on these complex viewports. Any ideas?