Offsetting composed objects with arcs......!

tgm

I asked this question when VW2008 came out and I was assured that this isssue was fixed from 12.5.

The issue is using the Offset command on a composed object that contains arcs. I have a very simple circular segment composed of two ars and two lines. I composed the object when designing and then had to offset the perimeter inward 1.5". The resultant inner shape, when decomposed, is made up of small straight line segments and not an arc. This type of behaviour causes major problems on our CNC output files and was the major reason we never upgraded from 12.5. I am using a demo version along with the interiorcad demo to evaluate interiorcad and low and behold this issue was never addressed or even fixed.

Am I the only to complain about this issue?? This is the very subject that Katie and I had a go round on a year or so.

Is this issue currently fixed in VW2009 as this is the upgrade we would be going to with interiorcad??

Thanks,

Tom in PA

Tom, have you tried it with the demo version? I just did with a path containing two lines and two arcs and when I decompose the offset it consists of lines and arcs.

There is one aspect to be aware of though and that is in some circumstances the arcs will acquire additional vertices at 90?, 180? and 270?. When you decompose the object you will find the arcs have been split in two in those locations.

Tom, I tried it in VW 2009 on a diamond shape and an 'm' shape with an offset in of 250 mm and an offset out of 1000 mm. Original curves in red. I've exported this file back to VW 12 so you can see what the result is.

If you decompose the shapes you can see that the offset of the arcs are in fact arcs. The only issue, as I pointed out before, is that arcs that go through the 90?, 180? and 270? axes get split at that point.

Mike,

I have attached the file in question showing what happens in VW2008. Clearly wrong...in my opinion. I have posted a query on this very subject a short while ago and the answer was that since VW2008 was using the parasolid engine that offset issues were no longer an issue. That being said, why can I duplicate the very problem that existed back in VW11 days??

Cleary a bug that has never been addressed or if it has NNA never told anyone, but that's another topic.

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks Mike,

It's amazing that it's taken up to VW2009 to resolve this issue. Whats even more amazing is NNA's lack of interest and response to all the queries about this issue.

Well, I guess we have to go to VW2009 as I don't even know if 2008 is even available anymore.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

Tom, I doubt that it was a lack of will by NNA to solve the problem. Its more likely that there wasn't an easy way to solve it. That is where the switch to Parasolid has and will continue to bring benefits to VW.

These two interviews with NNA's Chief Technical Officer Dr Biplab Sarkar provide an insight into what Vectorworks will be like in the future.

- http://architosh.com/2008/09/architosh-talks-to-dr-biplap-sarkar-about-parasolid/

- http://blog.novedge.com/2008/10/interview-wit-1.html