Importing Sketchup 7 into VW Architect 2008 not working!

jwlyon1

I'm trying to import an object made in Sketchup 7 into Vectorworks 2008 Architect. It doesn't work. And by "doesn't work" I mean, nothing happens. With SU6 files, I would just (in VW) go to File-Import-Import Sketchup and browse to the file I wanted. It would come in on a new design layer. It would not import any sort of texture info, but groups and components would come in as symbols.

Now, nothing. Nothing imports. No error message. Nothing.

Is this a known issue? I did a quick search here on the forum and didn't see anything.

I should add, doing a save as in Sketchup and downsaving as version 6 produces an successful import. But that's an annoying extra step.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by jwlyon1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi!

try this check list:

1 - Do you have a import sketchup plug in in your VW 2008?

2 - If not, download it, if so, then you should be able to import any "sketchup" file.

3 - Try save your sketchup file to v6.

4 - Export your sketchup to dwg then bring in into VW 2008

(VW 2009 imports sketchup files v.7, no problem)

@ Luis:

Yes, I can successfully import SU6 with the installed importer plugin. Thanks for the suggestion.

@ Ray: It's only slightly modified to include a couple third party plugins in the tool palette.

@ Jeffrey:

Thanks! I was hoping that wasn't the case (like maybe there'd been an update to 2008), but it's nice to have a definitive answer no matter if it's not what I was hoping for...

Does VW2009 import SU textures? Or is there a way to get 2008 to do it?

Edited by jwlyon1