layer scale

liberian

Sorry if this is too trivial ? I am a beginner. I am drawing a site plan at a 1:500 scale. I have all the layers set to 1:500. I have imported a scan of the site boundaries and draw over them, then scaled the whole drawing so that it would be the right size (for example one length of the boundary that is 40m in reality is 80mm on the screen (with a 100% view)).

But when I draw a rectangle, which in reality should be 3m times 10m, and I used a dialog box entering 3000 and 10000, the object info confirms it is 3m wide and 10m long, but on the screen (with a 100% view), I can see an object 3mm wide and 10mm long, so it is a scale 1:1000. What is wrong? Many thanks.

Because screen resolution varies you should not expect to be able to measure the object at a 100 per cent view and have that measurement be meaningful. At least with not some additional math. This is because the 100 per cent view assumes a certain pixel size (72 dpi on the Mac, 96? on Windows) and in modern operating systems the computer only knows how many pixels, not how big they are. At best, the 100 per cent view gives a sense of how big things will print. When all monitors were displaying the same DPI, it was possible to do this and reasonable to expect it to work - no longer. It isn't a Vw limitation it's inherent in the way the computer relates to the monitor.

Check the scale by placing a dimension object on the critical points (or use the tape measure tool). This will tell you how big the object is. In your case a dimension on the boundary that is in real 40 m should show it as 40 m (assuming the imported scan has been scaled properly). If not you will have to rescale it. Remember that in Vw we are working in a layer space that has a scale.

You might plot the document and measure that but again, this introduces some issues relating to plotting drivers, line width etc. Still its good to make sure that the printing setup is working properly and if so, it should work.

You don't have to work at 1:1 if you don't want to, you just have to believe the rulers and the information in the Object Info Palette and the data bar.

Layer Scales in Vectorworks are basically pre-set zoom ratios. You can set the zoom (Scale) so that what you are drawing will fit on the paper size you intend to use for output.

The nice thing about doing it this way rather than drawing at 1:1 is that you can more easily see if your line weights and text sizes are correct for you desired output.

Pat,

I don't think he is actually working in 1:1. I think he is working at scale (in this case 1:500) but entering sizes at their actual value which is what Vw expects him to do. Because he is entering sizes at their real world size he is referring to this as 1:1.

In other words, he's got the idea and using the software the way it was intended to use. His use of terminology is a little different than what we expect.

So, liberian, continue to set the layer scale to a scale close to what you want to output. Continue to enter the actual real world sizes. and all will be well.