Rendering speeds with faster computer

SJS

I recently got a new MacPro 8 core 3.0GHz Intel Xeon machine with 32 GB RAM. My other machine is an iMac 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM.

When I render the same file (VW 2009 ??radiosity) on both machines, I don't see a significant difference in the render times. I was kind of expecting twice the speed on the new machine... maybe too optimistic? At any rate I don't see a significant change.

When I run the activity monitor I notice the program doesn't take much of a bite out of the 32GB of RAM. Am I missing something here? Is there a compatibility issue?

Mac Pro:

Configuration Options

* ? Two quad-core processors (8-core) up to 3.2GHz

* ? One quad-core processor at 2.8GHz

* ? Memory up to 32GB

* ? Upgraded graphics cards

* ? Hard drive storage up to 4TB

* ? Up to four SAS hard drives

* ? Mac Pro RAID Card3

* ? Up to two SuperDrives

* ? AirPort Extreme

* ? More options

Why have 32G RAM??....

What you are saying is that more RAM is needed with Photoshop, where it runs on 1.4G RAM with no problems other than being slow, does the added RAM increase the speed of other applicatins.

I need more RAM cuase I get a "out of memory" error, but run times are reasonable.

So now I would like to know from SJS, why have 32G RAM?

What needs that amount of RAM to run?

I have never ever heard of anyone using 32GB of RAM, ever. it must have cost thousands. And even with 200MB photoshop files, you would never use 32GB of RAM whatever you do, you would have to be using many many programs at the same time with huge files to use that amount of RAM.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, please check Other world computing on their RAM prices...$1200 for 32GB, yes expensive, but not Apple's $9,000. Other software does use all RAM such as Cinema 4d R11 which uses all 8 cores and is 64bit. 20 or 30 seconds for a complicated render. not bad.

• 3 months later...
Other software does use all RAM such as Cinema 4d R11 which uses all 8 cores and is 64bit. 20 or 30 seconds for a complicated render. not bad.

Thanks for the explaination there. I understand that when running multipile programs it would be most beneficail to have as much RAM as possible.

To think back, not so long ago 1GB RAM was a break-through and WOW factor, now we have the need for 64GB RAM.

Where will it end?...512GB RAM with 64 cores and 128bit?