VW2009 Crashes on Startup

Bovine

Question

I've been trying tech support this week, but so far, they've not been able to find or fix the problem. Now they've all gone home for the weekend so I thought I'd try my luck with the forum. I've installed VW2009 (educational) and when I try to run it I get as far as the splash screen when a standard Windows dialogue pops up with the message "Vectorworks 2009 Application has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I've run 12.5 on this computer with no problems, but am worried that it's not robust enough for 2009. Tech support has not suggested this though, so I maintain hope. Any help would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

i used to find that on a windows machine, VectorWorks would crash on startup if there was a corrupt workspace. I have seen this yet with VectorWorks 2009, but you could try it.

before you start VectorWorks go to the application folder (c:\Program files\VectorWorks\) find the workspaces folder and remove the last workspace used. You don't need to delete it, jst move it out of the folder.

start VectorWorks.

Since I've not yet been able to open 2009, technically there isn't a "last" workspace. I tried removing each of the available workspaces one by one just in case though, but that hasn't worked.

I don't know if this is useful, but I still have 12.5 installed. From what I've read in other topics, this shouldn't be a problem, but if this gives anyone some ideas, I'd be happy to try them out.

I thought drivers were the up-to-date (because the utility from within the device manager told me so). But since you nudged me again, I dug a little deeper. First I used a utility from Intel which told me to check directly with Dell. There was indeed an update and that was just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for the help.