Custom Titleblock project data

HOUCAD

Can the custom title block data be updated between multiple project drawing files? I started a project with all sheet layers in one master file then had to break it into different sheet set files. The way the info is updated is nice but kinda pointless unless it can be done between different files.

Also, when I make a new sheet for the set and insert a border, the project info has to be reentered into the new title block. I thought the project info was stored in the title block record. I have not been able to update a new title block from the record. I am not sure how this is supposed to work.

I don't know of a way to change the data across files. If you are linking files, one option would be to have an additional file that only has the title blocks, or only put the title blocks in the master file and only print from there.

Rather than making a new drawing border, duplicate one that you already have and then move it to the new sheet layer. Then you only have to change the sheet information, but the other information should already be there.

There should be a way to share that info between different project files or the way the title block interface works is pointless. We typically use a referenced title block into each drawing but I was trying to set up this project to use some of the nice features of the create standard layers tool. too late now to redo it on this project.

Exactly, David! At present, managing the drawings and versions of large & complex projects is far from satisfactory.

The totally un-funny thing is that the introduction of sheet layers & viewports made the situation worse than it used to be.

Looking from my corner, this should be resolved not by introducing a specific & project-centric mechanism but rather with ODBC-connectivity to a real database. Why? Because that would enable significant improvements for many aspects of BIM, too. (In fact, the latter would be the main reason for ODBC.)

Guest Wes Gardner

I've found if I create a new sheet and place a new border and title block then if I go to any other sheet and click in its title block and then go back to that newly created sheet, the Project info is now there - I then just need to enter sheet-specific data....

OR

If I go to the Issue Manager and scroll around a bit then go back to that newly created sheet - same thing, Project data is there and then I just enter the sheet-specific stuff....

OK, I can import the symbol into the drawings and all I have to do is update the sheet data. It would be nice if there was a central project file for synchronizing project info like this.

The issue data doesn't seem to do what I thought it was supposed to either. I can edit the issue data per sheet but the issue manager can only add items not modify them or list them. I had been testing my title blocks and had a few odd issue entries and had to go back and edit every sheet instead of managing them globally with the issue manager.

Again, you have to get everything right the first time or you can't change things. We get a lot of projects where the name and description changes or we have to match the official issue info to another parties info. I am going to have to go back to referencing a title block into each drawing and have the sheet info as normal text.