link classes' color of external source VP to attached file?

blimey

Hello,

I'm stuck on this one and would appreciated very much your advise :

I recently updated directly from VW12.5 to VW2009 so i'm trying to convert my old way of using referenced layer (since I understood this way of doing might be old-fashioned in2009)to referenced VP.

So I got that as in VW12.5 usual VP, classes can be set to follow the visibility of the file rather then the visibility of the VP classes.

What about color? Can I make the classes of the VP all follow the color of the class?

If not how do you use the referenced VP so to have uniform setting for classes?

May be to make this clearer I should explain that I use to draw my plan in one file, all the surrounding information in another file and all the landcape designing in another file. Then I would reference all the files in a final presentation and printing file.

Then I use to set all the attributes of the classes (all my object are set to use classes attributes) in that final file to suit my printing (and I have different script that set the classes to BW or color following our need)...

Now, If I set the classes of the file, the classes of the references viewport do not follow... so all my workflow is not so good anymore... How do you guys do this in VW2009?

Many thanks for comments.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What you need to do is make the referenced Design Layer Viewport (DLVP) use the current document's class definition and visibilities. To do this:

1. Select the referenced DLVP

2. Click the "Classes..." button on the OIP to display the "Viewport Class Properties" dialog

3. Select all the classes and toggle on the column after the visibilities. This makes the DLVP use the current document's class definition. You will get a message effectively asking if you want to update the class in the current document to have the same definition as the source document. Click "Yes" to continue.

4. With all the classes still selected, toggle the column before the class names such that the classes are not updated whenever references are updated.

5. Finally, turn on the "Use current document's class visibilities" checkbox to make the DLVP use the current document's class visibilities.

Please let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Tolu

Hi Tolu,

Thank you so much. Yes this is exactly what I wanted to do.

I dont really understand why I have to click on the small mountain though (beside that if I don't do it it doesn't work).

What it the purpose of the function? To apply to the current file the class attribute of the referenced file? or rather the other way round to apply into the referenced file the class attribtue of the current file?

Anyway, your indication allready helped a lot. Many thanks again

yours,

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am glad that helped.

The "small mountain" means use viewport specific class definition (i.e. the viewport determines the definition of that particular class).

The toggled state which gives you the "VW file" icon means use current document's class definition (i.e. the current document determines the definition of that particular class in the Viewport).

The "arrow" indicates whether or not to update the class definition (as defined by column 4).

All these settings work hand-in-hand. For example, when the "small mountain" is on and the "arrow" is on, this means the class definition is as defined in the viewport's source.

I hope that helps. BTW, the help does a better job explaining.

Regards,

Tolu