Apply Textures

Eric Myers

I've been having issues with applying textures to objects for rendering. Today I'm working with some text I've extruded and have tried unsuccessfully to apply different textures - the text always renders white (or grey) no matter what color the texture is that I've applied. I've also changed the Map Type and flipped my text object to see if the texture was being applied to the opposite side, but to no avail.

Does any one have any suggestions to help me work through this issue?

Thanks.

I have chosen various textures under the Render Tab, some defaults and some created by me, all with no luck. I did not think about looking at the attribute settings, but it was already set to solid. Trying a quick (relative term based on my hardware) render using a different attribute color to see what kind of results I get, but would still like to use textures as opposed to flat colors when possible.

Thanks for your help with this...

I've tried downloading your file twice, and aside from it having a different file name (1869), VectorWorks claims it is unreadable (I'm using 2008, btw). Also, my issue is not applying the textures, it's getting them to render properly with the textures I've chosen. Were you able to render the textures?

Ray would need to know how you intend to manipulate then render the textures.

If you use "Planar" mapping then the texture will only be correct on the face chosen but you will be able to use the Attribute Mapping tool to adjust, if you change to "Perimeter" Mapping then you will have to rely on the Offset parameters and Rotation to adjust.

If you go to the Render Tab of the Object Info Palette you can change the Texture for the Group of Letters and it should render as desired.

The issue I think your facing is that the Letters can have a solid fill as well as a Texture for Rendering under the Render Tab. If you Assigned a Texture then it will override the Fill color in a 3d view. The Letter needs a fill though in order for it to Render the Texture chosen. You can change the "Letter" Texture to any material of your choice but would suggest using names to textures that are associated to the actual texture, for instance Metal Chrome or Metal Cast Aluminum.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. Today I opened the file and it rendered the text exactly as it should have. This was after opening the file from Ray (thanks) so I don't know if that jogged something in my app settings or not, but I didn't have to make any changes to my file to get it working today.