Does anybody use InteriorCad?

Taoist-

Mouldings like you describe are done with regular VW commands like Extrude and Extrude Along Path.

If they are rectilinear profiles they can be done with interiorcad's Cabinetmaker dialog. I often use Plinth to create light rails (it's just a name of a parametric command). Top Scribe could be used for a crown. With either, however, the moulding is associated with one unit. If there is a run of units and a continuous moulding is desired, then the end projection can be adjusted.

I use interiorcad a lot, and am always glad that if a particular project has aspects that are not readily modeled with interiorcad's quick parametrics or tools, I can always (and seamlessly) use VW.

interiorcad is available internationally as an add-on to Vectorworks. In some european markets (e.g. Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy, ...), it's available as a bundle including a localized version of Vectorworks.

You may want to contact your local distributor for more information. You are also welcome to contact our sales manager, Sven Biermann, at +49251-39089-30 or sven.biermann@extragroup.de with any questions you may have.

BTW, I would strongly recommend to consider upgrading to Vectorworks 2009 - There are lots of improvements and great new features in this version which interiorcad 2009 takes fully advantage of.

(Hans Martin Kern, CTO, extragroup GmbH, developers of interiorcad)

Hans,

We have also contacted Sven via email today as we have been interested in interiorcad and also the CAM output module for output to our CNC's. Sven gave me the name of three customers using this module in Canada but there is currently no support in the US. We will be upgrading to VW2009 and purchasing interiorcad either way.

Will interiorcad export dxf files so that they can be used in our current toolpathing software.

This thread is the most interest I have seen in interiorcad in years and I cannot figure out why it is not more widely used in the USA.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply,

T.Gerald Marino

Edinboro Hardwoods Ltd.

www.edinborohardwoods.com

814-734-7364

VectorWOP, our CAM output module does not output DXF for further processing, because a lot of valuable information will get lost in the process. VectorWOP will output NC code directly for further processing by software like WoodWOP, NC-Studio, XILOG and others. That way, all the information which is already present in the Vectorworks drawing will be fully available for the CNC operator.

Check out the movie at

http://www.interiorcad.org/?id=172&L=1

I hope it will answer some of yor questions.

Hans,

Thanks for the reply. I understand about the CAM module not exporting information but will interiorcad export those file types after the design is finalized?

The lack of support on the CAM module in the US has me worried.

We are currently running a Multicam CNC using G-code output files. Will we be able to post process the files with VectorWOP to allow using them on our machine?

Thanks,

Tom,

normally, VectorWOP does not generate G-code output files directly, as we would need to do all the optimizations and security measurements the machine is doing on our own. That's why we prefer to interface with a third-party software driving the machine.

Do you have a piece of PC/Mac-based software driving the Multicam or are you inputting G-codes directly?

That said, outputting G-codes via VectorWOP is certainly possible, however, it isn't part of the standard package and would have to be implemented on a consulting basis on-site.

I suggest that you contact Sven to get more details on how this might work out.

Hans,

Thanks for the reply. We are currently designing in Vectorworks 12.5.3 and exporting dxf files to our toolpathing software, Enroute 4. Enroute then produces the G-code text files that we upload to a PC at the machine. Utilizing DNC software, the files are then loaded into the machine controller for processing. This is a very common practice here in the US.

The other question remaining is...'is interiorcad able to export the dxf data that it produces so that we can process it normally as stated above'...?? If it does then we could forego the VectorWOP CAM module and use our existing software for toolpathing.

This would be the ideal situation as we wanting to use interiorcad's parametric design features to streamline our material processing.

Thanks again,

Tom,

interiorcad will not output DXF directly. You would need to take the part layout generated by interiorcad (check the movie I mentioned before) - which is a collection of plug-in objects, convert those to groups / Vectorworks primitives, probably assign colors etc. and then out it via Vectorworks' DXF exports. Doesn't sound like a reliable and efficient option to me, especially if we're talking about whole cabinets and not one-off parts.

Another option might be to use VectorWOP mpr file export - AFAIK, Enroute is able to import mpr files - You may want to check with your supplier.

Hope this helps,

HMK

Hans,

Thanks for the info. You are correct in your thinking about Enroute being able to import WoodWOP-VARIANT(.mpr) file types. I have always seen this in the import listing but never paid attention to it. This may be the answer I was looking for as we are eager to use interiorcad.

I will check with the Enroute guru's about the file importation using .mpr files.

I will contact Sven after I do a little more research.

Thanks again for the help,

Thanks for all the info! Our interest is in the design of cabinets. Am I correct that I can create cabinets in InteriorCad and save as a symbol/object for later use so one does not have to create from scratch every time? In other words, one can create libraries of cabinet styles to "pull" from for future use.

taoist

Thanks for all the info! Our interest is in the design of cabinets. Am I correct that I can create cabinets in InteriorCad and save as a symbol/object for later use so one does not have to create from scratch every time? In other words, one can create libraries of cabinet styles to "pull" from for future use.

Just to add to what Gytis said (and while making educated guesses):

Any parametric object (eg. an InteriorCad cabinet) can be saved as a symbol in three ways. The two most relevant ones are

- a normal symbol: you can change all instances by entering the symbol definition

- a ?red? symbol, ie. a prototype: when inserted, a red symbol becomes a parametric object

The third option, a ?blue? symbol becomes a group when inserted. A prototype of sorts and useful in certain situations.