Door Hardware

doughd

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I think I am speaking for everyone here in the US (considering NNA does have 'North America' in it), but why isn't the default door hardware symbols inserting into doors at the standard 36" or at least somewhere close to that? They currently install 3'-6" above bottom, which very possibly could be an error.

What is the best way to work around this problem? I've tried creating a new symbol library, but I don't think I should spend my valuable time changing all of the symbols (moving them down 6") to install in the door where I need them to.

NNA! Please help!

And another problem directly associated with the hardware: the distance between the opposing sides of the knobs is 1 3/8"; and the NNA default door thickness is 1 3/4". IMO, these should be exactly the same!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think US Standard door thickness is 1 3/4"

Edited by doughd
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As for the symbols, the clear distance between the escutcheons on the knobs is 1-3/8" as you have observed; however, the thickness of the escutcheons is somewhat exaggerated to allow the same symbols to be used in any door from 1-3/8" to 2" (the symbols just get embedded a little more in the thicker door, no blood no foul.)

Right now the values/dimensions you are referring to are hard-coded in the PIO. I would post to the Wishlist forum to have these addressed as user-defined values in the future.

Thanks for the response, but i need to know how this issue can be resolved NOW, not the future. I can't have my live sections clearly showing a knob way too high on a door. And, no, I don't like wasting a bunch of time having to 'clean' up the live section.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

doughd, I've just done some follow up on this and have noted that the ADAAG (Americans with Disabilities Act Architectural Guidelines) says, "Hardware required for accessible door passage shall be mounted no higher than 48 in (1220 mm) above finished floor." Also, Frank Ching's Building Construction Illustrated note that the CL of door latches is in the 42" AFF - 45" AFF range. I've just measured the one in my office, and it's drilled at 40.5" AFF. AGS lists the standard drill height as 40-5/16" to 45". So ours does fall within the range, I wouldn't characterize it as an error. I have confirmed it is hard-coded and have submitted a bug to get this fixed in future versions. Right now, you have two options to solve your problem:

1. Hide the dimension in your elevation view and do an override of the desired door HW mounting height. (This in my opinion is preferable as it can be done once for a project, even made a "standard detail" type symbol. You weren't planning on dimensioning each door separately, were you?)

OR

2. Find the file:

[VW_directory]\Libraries\Defaults\Door - Hardware\Door Hardware.vwx

and do the following:

2.1. Duplicate and rename the file in place (e.g., "My Door Hardware.vwx")

2.2. Open your new duplicated file and individually edit each door hardware symbol so that its 3D geometry is adjusted by the amount you want. For example, if your desired height is 36" AFF, select each symbol in the Resource Palette, right click it and choose "Edit...", then choose "3D Component", then select all (ctrl-A), then "Move 3D...", then set the Z-value to -6". Then choose Top Level. Repeat for all symbols in the file.

2.3. Leave this duplicated file in its directory. When you choose your door hardware, just make sure it's from your file, not the default one. (You can delete or move the default file if you wish.)

2.4. Whew! See why I like option 1?