Plants in landscape areas objects are not totaling costs

Doug L

Why is it that for plants which are in a landscape area group, costs were not calculated in the plant list work sheet? I have verified that the plant costs were inputted in the Edit Plant Definition/Price for each individual plant of the group, AND also in the Object Info Palette/Unit Price for a landscape area object. Other non-landscape area plants' cost are totaled properly. Thanks.

Doug, Looked at your file then tried this quickly as it is Christmas morning ? so have not had much time

In the attached file a few things ? grab AcPa and edit its price amount in the RB and then recalculate the WS ? the price change does not recalculate

AcPa is only in the Landscape Area though

For me it did twice ? once when I ?unsummed? the WS and ?resummed? on the ID column ? this though does not seem to be consistent

The next when I changed the plants per square metre in the Edit Landscape Area GUI ? so it is not working properly me thinks

Second one seems to be consistent - WS recalculation does not work but Edit the Plant in Landscape Area fixes it in the WS ? you do not have to actually Edit anything ? just open the dialogue and close it again

The Spacings for the Plants are wrong ? they are added together when the WS is Summed in the ID Column

Thanks Eric for following up with this and Andrew for your solution (copied below). However, what does "reset the Landscape Area object" mean and how do I do that? Will that also solve Ozzie's questions in the prior thread on this topic?

"If you add plants to a Landscape Area object that have a price of 0, and then later on go and edit the price of that plant to something else (2.00 for example), and then go and create a plant list, the price of the plant will still show as 0 on the worksheet. However if you go and reset the Landscape Area object on the drawing, and then update the worksheet, it displays properly....The purging is actually handled so that the plant objects won't be deleted from the resource browser if there are some in the Landscape Area."

Doug, Landscape Areas ? probably if you think about it you do not need to apply Spacing to them as really the Spacing is defined by the Landscape Area anyway

Brings up other issues though ? sometimes I find I have the same plant within a drawing used say as a group of plants in an area and in another area say as a hedge ? so the spacing could be different ? means then the spacing could not be relied on anyway or as I do it add some text after my Plant ID Tag such as ?planted at 600 mm centres?

When Editing Plants under the Default Prefs Tab with your Tags Top, Centre and Bottom you can enter custom formulas ? just scroll down to Custom within each ? if you enter &? ? Planted at 600 mm Centres?& after Quantity?-?&ID for Quantity and ID you would get that for your tag

Problem is as far as I can work out it does it for every plant in the drawing

So unless a scripting genius can provide a way to make this work better seems Spacing has limitations

Perhaps you could count your plants separating Landscape Area ones from ordinary ones by Class and have separate Worksheets ones for landscape areas and ordinary planted areas

In the file I posted earlier in this thread remove the Landscape Area and recalculate the Worksheet ? seems to me the Price and Spacing columns are totalling the individual plants data ? so this must be a bug one would think ? see what you think and if so post it to bug submit

Resetting the Landscape Area must be just Editing the Plants within it ? cannot find anything else

I think though a good Wish List request could be to be able to add custom tags for different Plant Instances within a file ? perhaps a tick box of - Apply to all plants or - Apply to this plant group only ? if you think so perhaps we should post it there

Doug, this is confusing ? apparently ?

I am wrong ? this is just how Worksheets work

In the file I posted earlier in this thread remove the Landscape Area and recalculate the Worksheet seems to me the Price and Spacing columns are totalling the individual plants data so this must be a bug one would think see what you think and if so post it to bug submit

? obviously if that is the case just a little Vectorworks way of doing things that we have to get used to