Plant spacing incorrect in plant list worksheets

Doug L

How do I update plant spacings which are listed incorrectly on the plant list work sheets? For example, in Edit Plant Definition, Placement Spacing, I typed in 3', but the result in the plant list worksheet is 12, regardless of what spacing I input. Several other plants also list the spacing incorrectly.

Recently upgraded to VW2009 but this problem persists.

I just found the cause and a solution: It appears that the plant list work sheet is adding up the spacing distance from every grouping of the same plant! Here is the proof: in the plant list work sheet, when I remove the SUM symbol over column A, the plant ID, there are 4 line items of Mahonia aquifolium. 4 x 3' spacing = 12'!!! However, I need to use the SUM over the ID column to add up all the Mahonia plants (23). So how do I prevent adding up the spacings?

Here is a solution: After dragging the SUM icon back over the ID column, also drag the SUM icon over the spacing column! This appears to "un-SUM" the spacing column! Now all the plants list the correct spacing in the plant list worksheet! Very strange, but it appears to work.

Here is another way to do it. This should only be necessary for items that are using plant groups, but it won't hurt for individual plants.

In a schedule of Plant Records (showing all the fields), the Quantity is in column B and the Spacing is in Column I. The formula for the spacing is:

=('Plant Record'.'Spacing')

You should be able to change this to

=('Plant Record'.'Spacing')/B2, but this only works for individual plants as it is only counting each subrow of the database that are summed together.

If you use a formula of:

=('Plant Record'.'Spacing')*B2/B2, you get the correct answer because it multiplies the 'Plant Record'.'Quantity' times the Spacing before doing the division, giving the correct number of plants both the numerator and the denominator.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pat, I really appreciate it. Your formula in the plant spacing column works much better. The other method, dragging the SUM icon over the spacing column, results in some strange things to the plant list when I temporarily remove the SUM icon from over the quantities column in order to show and check each row in the plant list spreadsheet.