using v9.0 and printing

YES. I am having trouble printing woth VA9. I use an HP 455CA Plotter and get a bunch of PostScript errors (which I don not get in version 8.5.2). I also have sheets that for some stange reason print at a slightly smaller percentage than 100%. Finally, PrintoPDF is not working with VA9, but it works great with 8.5.2. I have called and e-mailed tech support about these issues and others (I have a list of 8 problems so far). They have taken 2 days (and counting) to get back to me.

YES. I am having trouble printing woth VA9. I use an HP 455CA Plotter and get a bunch of PostScript errors (which I don not get in version 8.5.2). I also have sheets that for some stange reason print at a slightly smaller percentage than 100%. Finally, PrintoPDF is not working with VA9, but it works great with 8.5.2. I have called and e-mailed tech support about these issues and others (I have a list of 8 problems so far). They have taken 2 days (and counting) to get back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm having trouble printing with both an Epson 740 and a HP450C with Drivers from Microspot, All after we upgraded to VW 9

Everything worked flawlesly before.

I have to export my files to 8.5.2 everytime I want to print.

I will downgrade really soon if this is not fixed

Mr Hutchinson,

I also use a designjet 455. (Ours is the designjet 455CA, prints on a 36" roll) I've been considering the upgrade to 9, but now I'm not sure. Tell me this: Have you had any problems with your plotter? How is the resolution? Ever tried any photo-quality stuff? Do your colors match what is shown on the screen? I've had a ton of trouble with the HP ink cartridges, most notably the blue one. I'd love to hear how yours works.

Our 455CA has been a great plotter---a true workhorse. One thing we found: if you do not use color much, take the cartriges out of the printer until you use them. The cartriges get dried up very quickly, and become useless once that happens. If using good cartriges, we find the color output to be quite dood. We ALWAYS print color drawings on photo quality presentation rolls.

I still cannot figure out why some sheets print at a smaller scale than others. Has anyone else had this problem? It is a real pain---I have found no solution.

Me too (MacPlot and Printtopdf problems, inadequate tech support response, etc. on VectorWorks 9). I have downgraded back to v.8.5. I will also be getting my money back (and regrettably moving to another application in the future) if this is not fixed soon.

Here is my list of gripes:

PrintToPdf comes up blank or missing lots of lines, Acrobat prints vertical text horizontally, printing to HP DesignJet via laserwriter / ripper crashes everytime with a type 11 error, must resort to VW 8 to print.

So to answer the original question, YES.

My service bureau uses an HP455CA and I had the same slightly smaller than scale problem when printing the Acrobat files that I created from my VectorWork files. The problem is that the HP driver shrinks a 24" x 36" sized image to fit its printable area which is less than 24" x 36". The solution was to create a custom sheet size in the Adobe PS driver that was smaller (23 1/2" x 35 1/2"). Everything prints right on scale now. Make sure that the HP driver is not shrinking the image to fit a sheet that has a small imagable area than 24x36.

quote:

Originally posted by carch:

Is anyone having problems with v.9.0 and printing or just v.9.0 in general.

I'm having trouble printing to a laserwriter 16/600. I keep getting postscript error messages and the files then vanish out of the printer que. I tried tech support who told me it must be a printer driver that needs updating. There are no recent updates, and frankly something seems fishy as I have no problem with any other application. My files print fine to an Epson 3000 printer. This has become a real pain in the neck. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions (besides tossing the software out the window)?

Originally posted by Steve F:

We have 3 printers in the office, HP455CA, Epson 1520, and HP Laser Writer 4MP. They all have trouble with VW9, each in a different way. The 455CA gets constant error messages and takes forever if it prints at all, the epson prints in the wrong size from what the screen shows, and the 4mp takes a millenium to print. These problems mainly occur with Renderworks drawings. The epson is not on ethernet and has problems less often. I had a deadline Friday and ended up drawing by hand (heavens!)

Does the NVIDEA 2d excelerator (which I have turned off to run VW) have anything to do with printing?

[This message has been edited by ollypo (edited 05-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ollypo (edited 05-14-2001).]

quote:

I am running a P.C. 700Mhz.and have two printers HP650C and Epson 1520. Any drawing that originated with VW9 does not print in Landscape on the HP650 but will print on the Epson. I tried updating the drivers but this did not help. All VW8.5 drawings prints properly whether they were converted to VW9 or not.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by jhutchison:

. Finally, PrintoPDF is not working with VA9, but it works great with 8.5.2.

It is my understanding that versions of PrintToPDF prior to 2.2 (possibly everything but 2.2.2) works with VW9/VWA9. You can still download older versions of PrintToPDF from ftp://ftp.jwwalker.com

If you try this, and it works, let us know what works (and what doesn't.) I believe it's still being looked into to figure out exactly what's going on.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

quote:

Originally posted by urimevs:

Hi I'm having trouble printing with both an Epson 740 and a HP450C with Drivers from Microspot, All after we upgraded to VW 9

Everything worked flawlesly before.

I have to export my files to 8.5.2 everytime I want to print.

I will downgrade really soon if this is not fixed

We export to MiniCad7 before plotting (creating HPGL/II files for outside plotting)to ensure that all text is plotted.

I am working on some of these problems along with other engineers. We know that printing is crucial for our users so there is much effort in this area to fix the bugs that have been reported.

I hope that this helps,

Robert McBride

Software Engineer

Nemetschek N.A. Inc

mcbride@nemetschek.net

• Administrator

We understand that printing is very important functionality and we take the VW9 printing problems experienced by some of our users very seriously. As Robert indicated in an earlier post, printing problems have received close attention during 9.0.1 development.

We have fixed what we think is responsible for the PostScript errors seen by VectorWorks 9.0.0 users for VectorWorks 9.0.1. We have also addressed the problem which causes rotated text to fail to print on some Microspot MacPlot drivers. Finally the problem which causes printers to print in lower than optimum resolution has been fixed. While I can't give you a date, version 9.0.1 is nearing release.

Thanks!

Paul C. Pharr

CAD Software Manager

Nemetschek North America

Yes, I use a Epson Stylus 1520. It worked fine with version 8.5......but in 9, certain layers dont show up when printing! even though they are visible on the screen....I dont get it.....pls help me 'get it'...is it something I ate, or maybe I was really mean to a software designer in a past life.....

Vulcan,

Check if you are using a transfer mode on the layer that is having trouble printing. If you are that is the reason you are having trouble. Many printers do not support transfer modes. If you want to print such a drawing export it to a bitmap file and print the bitmap.

------------------

Robert McBride

Software Engineer

Nemetschek N.A. Inc

mcbride@nemetschek.net

To anyone using a 455CA on a Mac with the HP Rip soft ware. Reinstall the Rip Soft ware after installing VW9 and then reselect the PPD in the chooser under the laserwriter.

This has allowed me to print again, but some fonts won't print correctly. I have the "download necessary fonts" (or what ever it says) checked. Anyone else have this problem.

Mac G4 400

512 Mb Ram

200 Mb to VWA 9

Thanks

I have similar problems as many of you. My set up is the same as Mike B. I am using VWA 9. In speaking with the great tech support folks at Hewlett Packard, it appears that the installation of VWA9 somehow corrupts the HP RIP for the 455CA. Reinstallation is the solution. The problem I was having was that after the very first plot completes, the RIP quits out with a Type 2 error message. All of the remaining plots in the que are lost.

Fonts have not been a problem though. The only difference may be that I am using ATM Deluxe V 4.6 so it is less taxing on the System.

Hope this is of some help.

i have been doing some troubleing shooting myself and have discovered, when opening a v8.5.2 file into v9 is when i have my printing problems; arrow heads get all crazy, text is a mess along with hatching. I have recently started a couple of new projects in v9 and the printing seems to be doing fine. I'm using the epson 1520 printer with a g4 mac. does anyone know if vectorworks is ready for osX? i'm not sure if i am....... I just want to use my dual processors.....