Local/Regional Training

buz

I have noticed a number of forum members live in my 'region' and offer training.

My question is diverse, from - how do you (I) evaluate/select a trainer, to - what does it cost, how is it conducted, would/could training be 'tailored' to my experience and needs?

Guessing this is a concise start. Thank you.

if they offer online training, ask for a small trial. at present there is no certification for trainers, so they all appear equal. we are not equal. some are good at what they do, some may not be. How long have they been training, and are people satisfied?

for example, i offer training. i have been training for more that 14 years, since VectorWorks (MiniCad) version 6. you can try out my training by looking at the VectorWorks 2009 quickstart guide, available from here:

http://www.nemetschek.net/training/free_resource.php

I understand that 'saying they offer training' and actually being 'qualified' are different. Therein lies my question about how one goes about choosing someone.

Like you, I too have used VW since it's MiniCad days, but unlike you I have used the program only occasionally never grasping a majority of it's functionality. My use has been to develop basic shop drawings or drawings required for building permits for simpler jobs.

No doubt I could pick something up from the Quickstart guide, but i would like to consider myself (perhaps) an advanced beginner. It's difficult for me to quantify/qualify my level of experience. I can 'manage' to create 3d drawings and have a basic understanding/knowledge of many of the tools. Prior to VWA 2009 I had not used VW since 11.5.1 - a few years ago.

Currently, I am familiarizing with 2009 finding it much 'cleaner' than 11 as well as finding where Nemetschek relocated many of the commands.

One area I know I need/want help is with workflows. Also in setting up template files with my own layer and class definitions. Deciding on attributes, understanding and creating styles, working with worksheets, records and databases ... these are among other things not coming to mind readily.

Beyond books, I'm wondering if anyone offers training/mentoring/help via phone or pm's. Or do trainers have curriculums developed.

At any rate, thank you for the reply.

Buz,

I am sure there are others, but Jonathan is the only one I know of doinginternet based training. I personally prefer to do in-person so I can see the look in the students eyes and know if I am explaining the subject adequately or not.

Your best bet will be to get on the phone and talk to the prospective trainers. Tell them what you are looking for and see if they sound like they know what they are doing.

Very few of the trainers I know work from a prescribed plan. I think most of us are perfectly happy to see what you already know and help you move forward. You may even find that working with different people will help you to see different ways to do things.

One of my pet sayings is that there are seven ways to do anything in VW. The trick is to figure out which one works best for you when.

Good Luck in your search.

Hello Pat,

Thank you for the insights. I'm sure your pet saying is totally valid - I've seen a number of ways of doing the same thing.

As much as I understand that one on one (person to person) would be the preferred environment - I don't believe travel is in my immediate future. I've worked through a number of VW manuals beginning back with 8.5 and while the info is good fundamentally, I'm sure they stop short of good workflows and practice.

I'm aware of you, Cipes, gmm18 and Jonathan - have seen a couple other signatures quoting as trainers ... hoping I can work something out somewhere.

I have noticed a number of forum members live in my 'region' and offer training.

My question is diverse, from - how do you (I) evaluate/select a trainer, to - what does it cost, how is it conducted, would/could training be 'tailored' to my experience and needs?

Guessing this is a concise start. Thank you.

This would be a good time for Nemetschek to validate trainers, so that there is a recognised certification process.

It would also make it easier for users to brush up on their skills.

There must be some ISO accreditation that could be achieved which is good for users and their clients.

Pray tell me how NNA could possibly certify trainers in the tens of countries VW is sold in... Already at present, two thirds of the users are outside North America and my totally uneducated guess is that growth, if any, will take place in minuscule markets. There may well be reevant ISO accreditation systems, but they cost easily tens of thousands (in Euros) to implement & get accreditation.

I have the feeling that few VW users would pay 200 ? per hour for training (the average charge of a Microsoft Certified N or S engineer.)

I would be careful of "approved" trainers also. I have seen cases where trainer "approval" became a profit center.

Who would you rather be trained by. A real user who has used the program for a long time and trained a bunch of people, or someone who just came to the program and decided to shell out the money to be an approved trainer.

And, yes, I am a trainer and I would probably not be willing to pay to be certified.

Pat

I for one just want 'value'. I suppose one's 'credentials' could speak. If someone's resume did not include a substantial history with VWs and include other background in the field - I wouldn't be impressed nor inclined to pay for help.

As has been mentioned, there are a number of ways to 'skin a cat', and users of the program will develop and gravitate to ways/workflows not mentioned or covered in 'manuals'.

I think a worthwhile approach would be to look for someone specifically in your field of work and narrow down the field there. A lot of this "skin the cat" stuff comes from idiosyncratic work flows within a particular industry. I've had much success training people who work in the entertainment/live event industry, but I would not feel comfortable working with a landscape or building architect. Unless they were really looking for the basics.

No way to tell who you will mesh with or what their specialty is. I tried most of the trainers in my area and found only one willing to work with me and proficient in my areas. The others had as much trouble finding commands as I did!

I also recommend the VW one on one training via phone and on screen. For $100 an hour, plus no travel, its hard to beat and they really know their stuff.

I think a worthwhile approach would be to look for someone specifically in your field of work and narrow down the field there. A lot of this "skin the cat" stuff comes from idiosyncratic work flows within a particular industry. I've had much success training people who work in the entertainment/live event industry, but I would not feel comfortable working with a landscape or building architect. Unless they were really looking for the basics.

That is exactly my situation and belief.

I limit myself specifically to UK garden designers, unless someone is just starting out and wants VW configuration and the basics covered. The key features of each sector is so different and I am confident that the areas that I teach are highly relevant to garden designers. When I was a student, my CAD and design work was continuously critically assessed by a member of the adjudication team of the Society of Garden Designers here in the UK of being of the highest standard. Add that to nearly 30 years doing computer graphics, including over 5 years working for the BBC TV's Computer Graphics Workshop in late 80's/early 90's, 4 years solid Vectorworks (yes I still find new ways of doing things but I bet this is true of anyone), author/co-author of 2 books on programming and a fully qualified sailing instructor, I have no qualms about advertising myself as a trainer, tutor, mentor. I am never likely to want to get certified as for me, I do it because I enjoy it rather than need to make much money out of it. Because of this, I believe that I offer exceptional value for money which at the end of the day, benefits the end user.

Just wanted to get back to everyone for pitching in their thoughts on this ... all relevant and appreciated.

Also, to those who responded as available (via pm and otherwise), sorry I haven't responded and will - seems to be a 'time of year' thing at the moment. Imagining I will follow up soon - after the first of the year. For whatever reason, need to sit on it a minute.

Thank you.