Unable to insert doors

HOUCAD

I have a background floor plan that was drawn in VW 12.5 using basic wall styles. Some windows were inserted as window objects and are editable but the doors were inserted symbols. I opened it in VW2009 and when I try to add a door object I am unable to even initiate the command from the toolbar. The previous tool remains highlighted and I do not get any dialog to set door properties.

I am able to add doors in a new drawing but not this one.

Any suggestions?

Edited by HOUCAD

It may be an object that is named "Door" in the file.

I would make a worksheet with a database row with a Criteria of All Objects.

Set the formula in Column A to =N

This will show you the name of every object in the file.

Scroll down until you find the one named Door and then hold down the Control key and click on the row header. I think there is an option in VW12 to Select Item. (it may have been added in VW2008). Select that and change the name of the object to something other than Door, Window, Space, etc.

I did not try it in VW12, but I get the same non-activatable door tool if I name an object Door.

Pat

AHH ok I will check that out. Thanks.

This is an old original CAD drawing from like 15 years years ago imported into VW12 and traced over. The drafters here have always used symbols for doors and have never really messed with the object based stuff.

Is there a way to convert a door inserted as a symbol to a door object?

If you insert a door and click the Settings button in the Object Info Palette, there is a section that says "Use Symbol Geometry." If you click this and choose your symbol, you will have a Door Object that is drawn using the symbol. You can change all of the parameters in the OIP, but the symbol will still be fixed.

I don't know of a way to take a placed symbol and have it changed to a Door Object using the symbol geometry.

Pat

Set the formula in Column A to =N

This will show you the name of every object in the file....

Pat

Ok I guess I don't know how to do this. I have never worked with the worksheets in Vectorworks. I understand about the database side in this kind of CAD program but I am not sure how it works here. I can set the criteria for the worksheet and select items from lists but there is no option to list everything. I did get a list of all the symbols in the drawing by setting the criteria to Name / is/ *. There were no symbols named Door as far as I can tell. It looks like I would have to do this for every object type in the list. I am not sure how to manually enter a formula as you described.

(What is in a name? A Door by any other name...)

Besides, the name 'Door' may be used by something else than an object in the drawing (including an unused symbol definition). Try a script instead:

MESSAGE(GETTYPE(GETOBJECT('Door')));

You will get a number. The VectorScript Function Reference has an appendix which lists object types and their numbers.

If you are sure that you don't need the whatever it is, another script will kill it:

DELOBJECT(GETOBJECT('Door'));

You may want to use the menu command under Tools:Update Plug-in Objects and see if this door symbol, which may have a old door object, can be updated to the new Plug-in object type.

If this is a simple graphic for a symbol, then delete the symbol from the File and from the Resource Browser to see if the Door Plug-in Object becomes operational. Of course this is the brute force method rather than the eloquence and sophistication of the previous two posts.

You may want to use the menu command under Tools:Update Plug-in Objects and see if this door symbol, which may have a old door object, can be updated to the new Plug-in object type.

Thank you, that did the trick. I just updated the plugin objects and the door routine worked. Unfortunately this was started a couple of weeks ago and I have 3 floors of an office building with 2d symbols for doors to convert to door objects. These are the existing conditions and most of it will be gutted but I want to be able to query the database and produce a list of all existing walls, doors etc.

Are there any beginner tutorials for worksheets available? I don't have a clue where to begin.