Is it possible to import excell files into my drawings

Andrew Mac

In long:

You can export the data as a text file. Then figure out how many rows and columns you have. Then set up a worksheet. Then import the dumb data. Then format it.

Unlike similar importing facilities by 3rd party developers, the standard issue "Import Workheet" can't even figure out the dimensions of the table.

Not that any formatting or features would ever be achievable. But I think I'll continue this rant elsewhere and broaden the subject to overall ODBC connectivity once again.

(Open Database Connecivity. Excel can do that. FileMaker Pro and Access can do that. VW cannot, because it is not "our focus". Quote - unquote.)

So, all in all, I would recommend rebuilding your scheduling system in VW. You may even be positively surprised: you can link the schedule to Space objects.

There is actually a way to do it - but it will only result in a "non-intelligent" (but editable) print in your drawing. Text and lines only.

I'm not sure it works on PC though.

Just open the excel worksheet you want to import. Select all. Copy all.

Paste it where you want it in your vwx file.

You may need to change text sizes etc to make it fit in the grids, but at least you have a presentation of the worksheet - if that's all you need.

Andrew,

While you can't import an Excel spreadsheet directly, you can import the information of an Excel worksheet.

As Ray and Petri noted, PDF gets you the Excel spreadsheet, as laid out in Excel, but it is not editable.

Or, you could import the data of the spreadsheet and be able to edit the fields.

First, export (Save As...) the spreadsheet from Excel in one of the following formats: comma delimited (aka, CSV), tab delimited, DIF or SYLK;

Second, in VW, create a new worksheet in the Resource Browser (the default setting are fine, as the import will resize the worksheet, as needed) and open it;

Next, select the Menu Bar command "File > Import > Import Worksheet..." and pick the desired file. Click "Open".

BANG! You got Excel into VW. You can now graphically format it as you wish.

Please note that the Excel formulas are not imported in the VW Worksheet, the Excel export just kicks out the final values in the respective cells, not the formulas. You'll have to rebuild the formulas, in necessary, in VW.