Foundations

Well, that depends. (I have no idea what a CMU is. Google offers Carnegie-Mellon University and Central Michigan University.)

Ideally you would use a Footing object. Whoops - there is no such thing, so that must be why I created one!

Floor in a class & on a layer might be the next best thing before sliced bread. Should work nicely in Section Viewports, too.

Robert,

One idea is to use separate layers, one for Footings, one for Foundation Wall, and the Wall tool to create a short, wide wall to represent the CIP Concrete Footing on the Footings layer and then the Foundation Wall on the other layer.

That way you can "stack" them without them interfering with each other; trying to draw a wall on top of another wall in the same layer doesn't work very well, especially with Auto-Join ON.

Yep. Simple and efficient BIM.

However, the missing link is a Footing object that reports the length (& volume). (Or is there one? In my kit there is...)

Anyway, I think I need to point out that a Floor can have a hole in it, so the Footing of the Carnegie-Mellon University Foundation Wall can look like a real foundation.

Footprint. Offset duplicate. Offset duplicate. Clip surface. Floor - and Bob's your uncle!

Mind you: the footing thus created can be made an IFC footing. But only (I think) in VW.

Robert,

One idea is to use separate layers, one for Footings, one for Foundation Wall, and the Wall tool to create a short, wide wall to represent the CIP Concrete Footing on the Footings layer and then the Foundation Wall on the other layer.

That way you can "stack" them without them interfering with each other; trying to draw a wall on top of another wall in the same layer doesn't work very well, especially with Auto-Join ON.

You don't need to have 2 layers in this situation. You can also group them. When walls are grouped, they will not interfere with other walls outside the group.

This is how I set up any drawing for footings and foundation walls, for a one storey if the are more storey I add floor2 into layers and so on.

Layers:

Text-Floor1 (All text objects, sectioin lines etc.)

Mod-Floor1 (All floor plan objects including foundation walls)

Slab-Floor1 (floor slab wether its CIP, or floor joists, also any footings)

Classes:

Wall-Foundation

Wall-Footing

Wall-Int

Wall-Ext-Shingle

Wall-Ext-Vinyl

Wall-CMU

Floor-Concrete

Any many more for stairs millworks and other objects.

This allows for the most control whether it is a snap grey others for placing the footing under the foundation walls, I am able to see only the information that I need to work with at any one time. I do not group walls, or footing objects because I find it to cumbersome to go into a group to edit the objects then you need to show others well in a group. I use groups to isolate 3d objects that are part of a larger object. I leave "show others in groups" off so when I do have a group it is because I do not have a class for all of the individual object, but one class for the object. Custom light fixture, for example. The light fixture is on a class Light-Int, however the components of the fixture inside the symbol will be on class none, with textures set per object not class.

Hope this helps

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's an example using Jeff O's methodology and a quick report on the quantity of concrete in cubic yards. I can get it to report quantity of rebar as well but that's just a length function...

Hope this helps

Edited by Wes Gardner