ArchiCAD compatibility

VincentCuclair

Question

13 answers to this question

You're dreaming! Why would Nemetschek A.G. spend money in this? They have a flagship product line (AllPlan), a mediocre, overpriced architectural modeling program (ArchiCAD) and a cheap and cheerful Swiss army-knife package (VectorWorks.) Shoud they fulfill your wish, they'd kill their milking cow.

And Cinema 4D

So are we to believe the individual companies strive to produce advances and better features in the individual products whilst the parent company deliberately ensures compatibilty between them is not going to happen

We are like little mice running around in that wheel

Oh I know there is a plug in or whatever for C4D

Well, yes - you can put it that way... The individual companies strive to produce the maximum profit to their owner. With three different product lines, Nemetschek A.G. can compete very efficiently with other CAD-software companies, but it won't erode its ArchiCAD business by compatibility with VW.

Besides, IFC will eventually provide quite good compatibility.

C4D is another thing altogether.

The only thing that's obvious is that you haven't got a clue of what you're talking about.

Obviously not, that's why i ask.

If you had the good manners to inform me, perhaps i could understand.

VW's C4D Plugins have never been much help.

On the other hand C4D is an Excellent piece of kit and if VW was configured in a similar way to C4D i would imagine that a lot of the inherent difficulties present in VW would evaporate.

Modules . . . . the way forward

The only thing that's obvious is that you haven't got a clue of what you're talking about.

Maybe, maybe not ? fact is you do not have a clue really what I know or do not know

So best maybe to write a letter to Ernst Homolka or one of his staff to gain some insights into their plans moving forward with regard to the origin of this post - One would think he may know what he is talking about

It would be great to be able to completely 'forget' AntiCAD(AutoCAD) when exporting/importing to ArchiCAD.

Now that they are both owned by NN perhaps this is easier to achieve. I'm sure this would be greatly appreciated by the architecture community not connected to Autodesk

Besides, IFC will eventually provide quite good compatibility.

Perhaps ?from the top? info could be gleaned with regard to IFC compatibility too and when

On my to do list with that one

Obviously not, that's why i ask.

If you had the good manners to inform me, perhaps i could understand

You're dreaming! Why would Nemetschek A.G. spend money in this? They have a flagship product line (AllPlan), a mediocre, overpriced architectural modeling program (ArchiCAD) and a cheap and cheerful Swiss army-knife package (VectorWorks.) Shoud they fulfill your wish, they'd kill their milking cow.

And C4D could have been included in the above

Ok.

I think this has gone on long enough. Lacking any further civility in such a discussion, I believe this thread is done.

Graphisoft, Allplan, Maxon, Nemetschek N.A. are just four of ten parts of a larger family of products that provides many solutions across the global AEC market with many different types of technology. Each part has different strengths, with different technologies, in different parts of the larger market. Each part has its own responsibility in serving its markets and improving its technology and competitiveness.

Vectorworks and ArchiCAD users both have access to Cinema 4D plug-ins. These plug-ins are developed and maintained by Maxon.

As Petri observed, the use of IFC for interoperability appears to be the most effective strategy, at this time. It may not appear to be perfect, but adoption, support and development for IFC is still early in many parts of the world. As time goes on, I believe things will improve, with more resources and more demand by the market.

But, BIM and interoperability requires all end users to become better informed and learned about the realities and expectations of the exchange of information in pursuit of building design, construction, management, and ownership. From my perspective as a vendor, the expectations of users tend to wildly exceed the reality and intent of the technology and culture of BIM. From my perspective as a design professional, I am skeptical of a "magic bullet" of technology that is "just around the corner", but am grateful for any communication/interoperability advances that do occur.