Grid Bubble

HP Sauce

Should Grid Bubbles be made in Annotation space or as a separate drawing that is then referenced onto the relevant plans?

We need to use the same grid on multiple plans of different scales and obviously don't want to have to do it through Annotation space anew each time, so we made a separate drawing for the grid that'll be referenced into the plans as needed. The problem with this is that the grid annotations don't scale up/down automatically like they would if drawn in Annotation space. Hopefully that makes sense. If anyone has projects of similar requirements please detail how you dealt with such things.

One thing to keep in mind is that another benefit of having the grid on annotations is it's placement on a given sheet can be adjusted to fit each drawing as needed... I generally start off with it on a design layer during prelim but almost always end up with it on annotations.

This is similar to how we do it here, though we make a master grid layer that has the grids for the whole project. When we start layout of the individual sheets, we make the viewports with that layer visible and usually using copy paste, place and size them appropriate to the sheet using that master layer as a placement guide. Afterwards we simply turn off the master grid layer in the viewport leaving us just the ones in Annotations.

It is a bit of a pain, but it gives us control over final output, and the PM's can quickly go in to the sheets and turn on the master grid to make sure there weren't any changes that didn't propagate, or missed layout.

HTH,

ion

The plans we need the grid on are all separate files (Site, Floor, Foundation etc) to allow more people work on the job simultaneously so we need a way of using the same single grid drawing on all 3, at different scales each time. Having multiple versions (one on/for each file) allows too much room for user error, and indeed chasing up when it changes... unless i've missed something?

Another thing I can't get my head around: Grid Bubble numbers can be rotated horiz/vert using the ObjI checkbox, but the dimensions between refuse to show vertically rotated. Our Dimension Style is set to use Horiz/Vert, why don't these dims adhere to that?

Edit: Ion, thanks, that may have to be "Option B".

Edited by highpass

I don't know that it was clear what I was saying either.

We work with a master floor plan that has the master grid layer on it. This is setup in DD before it goes out to the team doing CD's. Then we make individual files for each sheet that all reference back to the master sheet via viewports. So we do end up with multiple grids on multiple sheets in the annotation layers, but the master grids can be turned on for each sheet to check the veracity of the 'local' grids.

Unfortunately we experienced the issue you are having, with scale, with layouts on multiple sheets. We still haven't found a way to bring one set of grids for the whole project.

Our system works fairly well, but could definitely use improvement.

ion