2 section rendering questions....

One question I've always wanted to know, and one I've just bumped into.

1. How does one get rid of facet lines in curved 3D objects when rendering?

2. Relatively new to Floor Objects and probably using them incorrectly. I've got a floor object that penetrates a wall through a very large cased opening. In section the wall shows up inside the floor.

Should the Floor object be always interior to the wall? Should the walls always sit on top of the Floor object? What's the best way to handle this? What about multi story buildings?

Thanks

Carl - It's just a couple of VPs stacked up. Fast RW w/ Shadows, Hidden Line, etc.... The "light beams" are just polygons in the annotation space of one of the VPs.

There is a Line Rendering Option dialogue box that lets you set a "Smoothing Angle", but that only applies for Hidden Line, Dashed Hidden Line, or Final Shaded Polygon rendering modes.

Archeus - I tried changing that setting too, but it made no difference.

But I think you're both right. There has to be a setting for this. Someplace.

One question I've always wanted to know, and one I've just bumped into.

1. How does one get rid of facet lines in curved 3D objects when rendering?

Vectorworks>Preferences>3d>3d Conversion resolution: Set to high or very high. Removing the hidden line facet lines is controlled by the setting in your later post.

2. Relatively new to Floor Objects and probably using them incorrectly. I've got a floor object that penetrates a wall through a very large cased opening. In section the wall shows up inside the floor.

Should the Floor object be always interior to the wall? Should the walls always sit on top of the Floor object? What's the best way to handle this? What about multi story buildings?

Ths short answer is to use them as you see fit...

I don't overlap them because it just bugs me to do so, and walls will end up reporting the additional height in the OIP. With the ability to texture floor edges in '09, it makes it even easier to run floors to the building edge. For interior walls setting on stepped floors (I think that might have been the case in your example?), you can use the "Fit walls to roof" command, and fit the bottoms of your walls to the floor geometry below.

Changing smoothing angle in the hidden line VP should fix your curves problem, michaelk. I usually set mine to 15 or 25 degrees but I'm not sure that will be enough for the large curve in your drawing.

You probably already know this but you don't need to stack VPs in VW2008, you can set foreground and background rendering. Set background to RW and foreground to hidden line.

With regard to the unwanted wall section, move the bottom of your opening to the bottom of the stage.

If the facets aren't coming from the hidden line render, then I'm afraid you'll need to use custom renderworks instead of fast. I suspect that fast renderworks sets curve detail to low. It will need to be set to high or very high to get rid of the facets on your large curves. You can probably set shadow sampling to low and/or use shadow mapped shadows instead of ray traced if you want to keep render times down.

Carl

I think most of us are self taught, and slowly getting wiser. (I like to think of it as a diminishing degree of incompetence.)

VPs on Sheet Layers are what makes VW tick for me. It's a really fast and powerful path to getting a drawing organized and out the door. (And keeping it flexible for revisions.)

michaelk