Ability to edit size of plug-in windows with reshape handles

Christiaan

Question

Being able to resize plug-in objects (e.g. a window) with reshape handles rather than having to type numbers into the Object Info Palette would be useful.

When we're doing very quick design work we tend to use windows made up of a polygon and a line grouped together. We can then resize these very quickly to suit, pulling from either end. The problem is we can't insert them into the walls (or fit them to the wall thickness automatically).

So what I'd like to be able to do is use the plug-in windows (with no jambs, sashes, etc.) but then we can't resize them as easily and quickly as we can a group. The only option is to resize them, from the centre, by typing into the OIP.

16 answers to this question

Sorry Christiaan, but for me, resizing anything is best done in the OIP or Much Much Better still, using the incredible genius of Mr. Mullin's OIP on steroids . . . . . .

"Reshaper" www.siriussolutions.net

it's now on version 14.0.5

Can't beat 'em.

Edited by AndiACD

Presumably because one knows the amount of wall space available, the present size of the window and how much room there is to play with . . . . . .

Reshaper frees you from that, and i think that 2009 also allows you to reposition the point from which the OIP resizes the object. But, if it doesn't, Reshaper does.

it also allows you to see the action before committing to it. so if you don't like it you can change what you've done, resize it, move it, or simply cancel.

Brilliant tool! Does what the OIP should do!

Try it.

Presumably because one knows the amount of wall space available, the present size of the window and how much room there is to play with . . .

Putting aside the assumptions, which I disagree with, you didn?t answer my question: which was why do you want to be forced to do this? Rather than be given the choice.

Why do you want VW to slow down and get in way of the designer who may not be concerned about the numbers at the time but simply proportion?

I'm absolutely not interested in a plug-in to resize windows. There's no way I can justify that to the boss when the alternative is the free use of windows made of Groups.

This is By Design.

If it?s By Design, what?s this design choice based on?

I agree with Christiaan.

This feature should have been implemented a long, long time ago. I get envious of the ArchiCAD users when they show me how quickly they can adjust windows to suit their design/needs.

I wish Nemetschek could go back to pre-vw 9 where they listened to their customers.

Sorry Christiaan, i'm the 1st in line requesting choice and i'm not attempting to stamp on anyones toes here, i just feel that "Reshaper" is an unbelievably incredible tool, that makes a never ending list of improvements over the stock OIP AND it's in continuous evolution.

i'm also sorry that it isn't able to help improve on your current situation.

if VW, like Shaun says, the code writers implemented some better ideals Pre VW9 (and i can't disagree with that), then once again, it is of coarse up to NNA to get their act together and listen more to the "Users" of their product and their needs . . . . . . . .

pante rhei, "Reshaper" often allows editing of objects that VW usually denies access to. i don't know weather this is valid in this case, but you can download a free trial if you want to find out . . . . . .

Either way "Option Lock Outs" are NEVER a good thing

pante rhei, "Reshaper" often allows editing of objects that VW usually denies access to. i don't know weather this is valid in this case, but you can download a free trial if you want to find out . . . . . .

AndiACD,

I didn't find a free trial in their website. Can you upload a screenshot instead? thanks.

Sorry guys,

No need to be discrete, my website is second to last on the list of things to be updated. (The manual? is dead last.) I've spent a lot of time recently updating the software to remove some long standing and elusive bugs. The results were good for the software, bad for the website.

If you'd like to try the Reshaper Demo for a month, free of charge, please email me at info@SiriusSolutions.net and include the last six digits of your VW serial number, and please specify what version of VW you want this for (VW 12, 2008 or 2009). I'll send you a DEMO KEY and a copy of Reshaper.

Though AndiACD is right, Reshaper does help you position and locate objects in ways beyond the OIP's scope, especially 3D objects, it is not yet optimized for working with objects inside walls, partly because I've had no requests to do so. Reshaper's evolution is shaped by feedback from the user base. The Azimuth Mode that Bruce Robertson mentioned above was added solely at his request.

I am always available and happy to answer questions. Please feel free to write at any time.

Raymond