Vectorworks for Students

Hey All,

Getting ready for college (architectural design undergraduate program)! My big question is this-since I got a Mac for school, I can't get AutoCAD which is all I have experience in. So, you see, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

1. How difficult is Vectorworks to learn?

2. Does NNA offer student license discounts?

3a. Is Vectorworks really the best cad software for Mac?

3b. What other choices do I have?

Anything is appreciated!

-k

1. Definitely not easy, but not bad at all with a bit of early training by someone who knows it well. These boards are also a sure place to get answers when stumped.

2. Yes. Free in fact. See http://student.myvectorworks.com/

3a. Of course! VW is the best no matter what computer you are on.

3b. You could run BootCamp or Parallels along with Windows right on your Mac, which means you can use AutoCad, Revit, whatever you want.

3b. What other choices do I have?

ArchiCAD. SketchUp. DesignWorkshop. Depends on the curriculum. (You don't mention the country you live in, not to speak of the school you're going to attend.)

Anyway, many firms that use Revit, ArchiCAD, Autodesk ADT, Bentley Architecture or VectorWorks, actually employ SketchUp as their conceptual design software.

Kennedy, I'd be a little surprised if you as an undergrad had free range to choose your primary drafting software. To my knowledge, the school/program you attend will require very specific software for you to learn for several reasons; you'll be required to take classes learning them and more so tested on them, instructors want to be able to easily review your work, etc.

Point being, you may want to research your list of requirements... I'd even speak with somebody in person such as an admissions counselor.

SketchUp is a must. Everyone seems to use it at least a little.

However at my school drafting software was not taught as a required course.

AutoCad was taught as an optional course.

Many students when to the local Community College to take Revit.

Vectorworks was taught only informally by other students (yours truly).

I'm still in the application process, but my number one choice is Parsons New School for Design, in NYC. The list Vectorworks 2008 SP3 and SketchUp 6 in their Mac labs right now. Country? America (to anyone else in the world: I am truly sorry you had to suffer through 8 years of one of our worst mistakes ever).

I have been asked eirlier this year to go do a couple of lectures for the basics of VW to Varsity students.

I have been Educated from AutoCad14 which was at Tech in '99 for Interior Design.(did go up to AC2004 in the 5yr's of study)

My First Real job they used Vectorworks10 and had to teach myself the program with no tutorials, only recenly(2years ago) went through them...."So that's how they do that".... and this here Forum has been a great learning 'tool' and insparation.

My question would be though, What difference would it be for me to go out and get SketchUp and learn it now? Would it Improve my ability and understanding of VW as it sounds like it is the foundation on which it is built?

Country? America (to anyone else in the world: I am truly sorry you had to suffer through 8 years of one of our worst mistakes ever).
Sorry, OT, but wasn't it 8 years of two of your worst mistakes ever - First was electing him, the second was re-electing him?

I came from AutoCAD. I bought a Mac for all the reasons people buy a Mac and looked into all my options for CAD/design. The idea of switching to a new CAD package was big concern. Mostly because I needed to buy the package as opposed to have an employer provide it, and I needed 3D.

1. It was relativly easy to learn. UN-learning years of command line entry was tough, but the tools in VW are pretty intuitive.

2. Yes on the student license. I went that route, and then upgraded from the student package into a full version of the current product. It's a very good path. The EDU software is full-featured with a watermark on output prints (as of now). You get ALL the tools avaliable. The cost vs. AutoCAD made it a total no-brainer. You get way better bang for your buck IMHO- UNLESS you're planning on working in an AutoCAD house right out of school. If you're planning on being a more independent kind of person, its the way to go.

3a. I've used a few, but this has been by far the best one IMHO, on either platform. I'm a Mac-centric house, so it was a great fit.

3b. Google that question. You'll get about a million different hits. Do some pre-research on that, and try and determine your needs. If you let the sales people get to you, you'll own a BIM, 3d modeling program, Database, 2d drawing application and a bunch of other nonsense costing you more than 4 years of education. That is my favorite part of VW. It's essentially all one single product that fits my needs very well.

Let me get this straight-no command line in VW!?

There never has been. It started development on the Mac almost 25 years ago. I don't recall there ever being a native "command line" application for the Mac until OSX came around. Even that is rooted in Unix commands and not pervasively for applications.

I've never known anything about VW until about 3 weeks ago...when I started looking for the best Mac CAD program out there. Also, I've never used Macs before now, so I don't know what you mean with "Unix commands" and a "native command line."

I started using VW religiously at my school. Another one or two classmates used it and the next thing we knew everyone in the school was getting it. I think a lot of people are pretty happy with it...at least the Mac people. I think you should go for it. AC is good to know, on a Mac VW is the way to go!! That rhymed.