3' of stone/brick

cwailes

You could create a custom texture, with brick on the bottom, siding on top, and then just tile it only in the horizontal direction.

as in this example: here

But I would just wrap the outside with a 3' tall wall with a stone texture.

I would make it a separate class so you can turn it off or grey in your floor plans

ccw, your request above leads me to two different scenarios: the first is that there is a structural wall and then a 'wainscot' type facade applied to its exterior surface. In this scenario I would use a second set of low walls to represent the applied facade. I would put them on the same design layer as the structural walls, but in their own unique class. Having their own class will make it easier to control their visibility in various different views and viewports. In the second scenario the low stone walls are actually part of the structure, and sit directly below the framed walls above (like an above grade stem wall). In this scenario I would also use two different sets of walls, also with their own unique classes. In the first scenario door openings are relatively easy: simply stop and then restart the low walls at each opening. In the second scenario door openings are more difficult, requiring some 3d reshaping of one (or both) sets of walls in order to get around the line that will pass through the opening(s). Message back if you need more info...

You could make a custom image texture. However it wont show a projection for the cultured stone from the wall, so when rendering you want get the correct shadow line.

What I do for cultured stone is draw a 2x6 wall for the framing. Then a 2x4 wall or the thickness of the cultured stone with lath and air space on the exterior of the 2x6 wall and set the height to 36"

Edited by John Meunier

Is there no way to attach a component to a wall and give it a different height as the rest of the wall? This was a great feature in ADT/ACA.

Applying a texture to fudge the look doesn't help with creating a representative section. What about adding a watertable to the wainscot? Is there any kind of "sweep" function to add a horizontal component profile across a wall?

What you are showing is like cutting a shape out of a wall. What I am referring to is the opening topic in this thread. adding 3' of brick or stone wainscot to a wall with a cap of sloped brick or cast stone or stucco detail at the top. It seems you have to draw it separately instead of adding it to a wall.

I am looking into the extrude and sweep command to see what they do.

In ADT you add a new wall component and give it dimensions, thickness and height and position in the wall and you end up with a row of brick wainscot attached to a wall. If you want to add a watertable to the top of the wainscot you draw the shape you want and sweep it across the the wall component. When you cut a section of that wall, all the components and real world profile of the wall section are generated.

VW will show the components and I assume it will show a shape extruded along a wall but I have not tried this yet.

Edited by HOUCAD

I see the sweep command which is what I would use with ADT. Will this sweep a shape like a cast stone watertable or cornice along a wall? I am not sure what the command wants me to do.

I checked out the extrude command and it basically extrudes a profile shape that you have to rotate and position where you want it to go. This would make a cast stone watertable shape I guess. will it miter around a corner?

I guess there is no other way of doing this besides drawing different wall types and adding a shape for a cap?

What you are showing is like cutting a shape out of a wall. What I am referring to is the opening topic in this thread. adding 3' of brick or stone wainscot to a wall with a cap of sloped brick or cast stone or stucco detail at the top. It seems you have to draw it separately instead of adding it to a wall.

Right. Sorry. Totally misunderstood. This kind of detailing is not what I'm used to... In one job I did actually have this wainscot thing, although it was, for geographic reasons, called "dado".

Yes, you do have to model such things separately. But then again, those are more or less separate pieces of work in reality, too, aren't they?

David, no. The sweep command is not that at all. Try it and see. I'm pretty sure what you want is "extrude along path"...

What I usually do is create one "extrude along path" object using the perimeter of the building as my path (assuming this is your exterior wall all around). If there are any openings that would be in the way, just use the subtract solid command.

And if you're also prefer to use secondary low walls, I would suggest that you create them inside a group so as not to accidentally mess up your main walls.

• 4 weeks later...

Well a brick or stone wainscot may be an additional item but there are advantages to having the stone or brick attached as a wall component. Forgive me for using ADT/ACA for comparison but you can simply change a wall type to add the wainscot. The Brick or stone will automatically clean up with joining walls with the same wainscot. You can control the height and placement of each component. If you need to lengthen a wall all the components lengthen with it instead of having to adjust your path.

Is there a way in VW to make the brick in a wall 1.5" lower than the stud? The top of the brick at the soffit height? I have not seen any way to control the height of wall components separately. It is very typical here to have stone or brick with stucco or siding above. In commercial you see a lot of brick and splitface CMU and cast stone or stucco in different combinations. I recently did a project with precast wall panels that had recessed bands and recessed vertical fluted areas. Is there a way to subtract from a wall? Just trying to figure out how I could do some of these special items in VW.

ADT/ACA compared to VW with the many different tools available to each system will not solve the issue posted in the original post.

There are tools available in VW along with different processes provided to the user in order to build a model that not only looks good but tracks the material quantities to the individual components of a wall systems. The VW system controls components similar to real field conditions with adjusments made to that reflect just the components.

122208-2.JPG

Learing VW takes a mindset committed to VW which in my opiniion is superior to many other systems.

PA

I do like that OSB texture.

For comparison, here is a link to a 3D PDF I printed from ACA2009 of a model I did. This is a rough model I used as a preview for the client. For some reason the orbit feature doesn't seem to be working for but you can pan and zoom around the image.

The walls are all single wall styles with different components set to different heights. You can add surface and section hatches and textures to each component either by class/layer or by component overrides so your generated elevations and sections are hatched appropriately. The wall styles have built in property sets for scheduling height, length, surface area, openings etc. but you can add any custom property data with calculation modifiers to schedule stone and stucco for the different wall components. You can also add or subtract 3D components to the wall to make a recess or protrusion. You can cut away the stone as you did in your example or make the stone semi transparent.

The reason this issue persists is probably in no small part because NNA software engineers think about walls as simple extrudes rather than as complex surfaces with multiple components.

It comes up here http://blog.novedge.com/2008/10/interview-wit-1.html in an interview with Biplab Sarkar, CTO of Nemetschek NA.

If Vectorworks would extrude walls in section rather than plan, this issue wouldn't require a work around.

The reason this issue persists is probably in no small part because NNA software engineers think about walls as simple extrudes rather than as complex surfaces with multiple components.

It comes up here http://blog.novedge.com/2008/10/interview-wit-1.html in an interview with Biplab Sarkar, CTO of Nemetschek NA.

If Vectorworks would extrude walls in section rather than plan, this issue wouldn't require a work around.

IMO, that would be great for VW! It would make things so much easier, and walls would actually look accurate in live sections!