STL files

GWS

• 2 months later...

Brian

Can I ask you about Meshlab?

I downloaded Meshlab, and realized I'm a mesh object idiot. Will Meshlab simplify objects that have 900,000 mesh objects?

(I imported a 3d dwg into VW, exported as 3DS, opened in Meshlab,... and proceeded to destroy it no matter what filter I applied.)

thanks in advance

michaelk

MichaelK

Meshlab I imagine keeps crashing when you apply the cleaning filters. It can handle the amount of meshes but once the geometry gets beyond a certain complexity it will not simplify in a meaningful way. Usually when there are multiply intersections of planar geometry occurring not at a vertex it starts to assume how to resolve these geometries. Which can lead to a crashing of the program.

In that case I would use Rhino for Mac which has the most sophisticated tools for simplifying geometry. The tools will allow you to reduce the amount triangulation on planar surfaces which will reduce memory allocation, render times, and 3D print times. The other program that is available is called Magics by Materialize (http://www.materialise.com/materialise/view/en/92074-Magics.html)this is an investment, but well worth it if you going to be working with many complicated 3D prints.

Since you are a Mac OS 10.5.3 user you can download the beta version for free here (http://community.irhino3d.com/)

If you are willing to post your file then I will take a look at in Meshlab.

Brian