Disappearing Unit numbers

michaelk

This is strange.

I have a simple little plot where the unit numbers display behind the instrument (ie. hidden) under very limited circumstances. They are still there - I can drag them out and put them beside the unit, but not on the unit.

The behavior only happens with Altman 6" Fresnels and only when they have scrollers.

Altman 6" Fresnels without scrollers behave normally, as do Source Four units with scrollers.

And once a 6" Altman Fresnel has a scroller, deleting the scroller doesn't cause the unit number to display properly.

All the units have the same Label Legend.

I did edit the 6" Fresnel symbol a little. It was .063" (or something like that) off center on the X axis.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

michaelk

hi michaelk;

as i'm sure you know, you can send label legend elements to the front or back. but it sounds like this is not the case here. and the fact that it's accessory-sensitive makes it an even better mystery.

i duplicated as best i could what you described in vw2008. pasting a spotlight altman 6" fresnel into a document, and then assigning it a label legend. i could not make the unit number become 'hidden' either with or without an accessory or a device.

i can only suggest at this point that you consider submitting this to tech support. sadly, i can't remember the actual email address. apologies.

good luck,

shelley

hi michaelk;

i opened your doc in vw08. i selected the 6" fres from RB. i selected inst insertion tool from SL palette. inserted on elec 7. showed as "lighting device" auto assigned Z to 12'-11 1/4" like the rest of the units. ran "refresh units" macro. it took and displayed unit number.

seleted chroma-Q in RB. selected accessory insertion tool from SL palette. clicked on nose of new 6" fres, then clicked to assign to same new 6" fres. shows it automatically as same unit number.

does not seem to be displaying to me what it is to you. appears to be working as designed here. right?

it's late and i'm toast. i'll check this again tomorrow.

shelley

hi michelk;

wow, was i tired...

when i opened the document, **neither** red-circle-surrounded unit showed a unit number.

but before that, i first had to change the font from "archie" (i think), then i got the following alert box:

Do you want to manually locate the broken reference?

the referenced file "Macintosh HD:Usedrs"michaelklaers:Documents:OPUS:NR Nov1:1 opus plan revised oct 28.pdf" was not found. do you want to manually locate it?

i unchecked the "look for subsequent broken references in all of the folders manually located" box and then clicked on the "no to all" button since i figured clicking on "yes" would result in who-knows how many of this same alert box. maybe this is part of the mystery?

hth,

shelley

I'm finishing up my last VW2008 project and I'm losing unit numbers again...

Now all units with an accessory "hide" their unit numbers behind the instrument symbol - No Altman 6" Fresnels on this drawing.

I noticed an older thread where someone else had this problem, but it was confined to Altman 6" Fresnels.

2 other symptoms:

1. The Gobo 1 field will not appear in a Worksheet database. It fills in "0" for all units. The Gobo 1 field does appear in the symbol via the Label Legend Manager and it appears in the reports generated by SL.

2. The accessories are not picking up the unit number of their instruments. (I inserted the accessories before toggling auto numbering on, so that may have something to do with it)

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it worth submitting a bug report?

michaelk