layer link

Ok---here's a tough one. I have a small project. I want to put both the floor plan and the Ceiling plan on the same sheet. I can do this via a layer link-HOWEVER- The doors show up on the ceiling plan. If I turn the door class off, they turn off in the floor plan as well (obviously). How can I separate the 2 without having to draw 2 completely different plans? There's got to be a way.

Well, assuming your doors arn't placed in the celing layer itself. You may want to make sure that your layers are set up to have different hights. You can set this using the layers... command in the orginaize menu.

Of course, im just learning VW myself, so I may be entirely misconstruing your problem.

quote:

Originally posted by jhutchison:

Ok---here's a tough one. I have a small project. I want to put both the floor plan and the Ceiling plan on the same sheet. I can do this via a layer link-HOWEVER- The doors show up on the ceiling plan. If I turn the door class off, they turn off in the floor plan as well (obviously). How can I separate the 2 without having to draw 2 completely different plans? There's got to be a way.

Thanks. But I don't think that helps. (Unless I am not understanding something). I want to be able to produce a floor plan and an RCP plan right next to each other so I can print them on the same sheet. I can easily create a copy of the walls to generate the ceiling plan via the layer link, but I cannot figure out how to hide the doors on the RCP, while the doors on the floor plan are visible.

It's a little hard for me to understand exactly what's going on here, but it sounds like you've got a layer with your floor plan, and another layer with your ceiling plan, and you want each of these to appear on one sheet next to each other. It also sounds like you're trying to accomplish this with one layer link that includes both layers.

If that's the case, I think that what you really want to do is to create two separate layer links, one linking the floor plan, and the other linking the ceiling plan. You can put these two layer links together on another layer, unlock them, and move them around to your heart's content.

Problem is: I use one layer for plan info---(walls, etc). I use another layer to input any additional ceiling info.---(ceiling grid, lights, etc). When I show the Ceiling Plan, I usually also have the Floor Plan layer active, so I do not have to redraw walls, etc. I control what I want to see and not see by turning classes on and off. Here's the problem---if I turn the doors class off (Doors are inserted into walls on the Floor Plan layer) then the doors are invisible for both the Floor Plan and the Ceiling Plan. The only way I can have the doors on in the Floor Plan, but off in the Ceiling Plan (at the same time) is to turn the FLoor Plan layer off in the Ceiling Plan Layer link. This would mean that I would have to redraw my walls in the ceiling plan---which I definately do not want to do. Any other suggestions?

I don't think there's currently a good solution to this in VW. You would have to duplicate objects/layers and change the class assigned to the doors for one of the two. Or you could do something like make the class visible, do convert copy to lines, then make the class invisible for the other view.

Basically what is needed is a layer link or viewport which allows overriding class visibility in the same document.

--

John Williams

jodawi@nemetschek.net