Symbol as profile object in extrude along path

acepernich

Question

5 answers to this question

Well Antone, from what i can see, you can.

It does mean you're tied to VW's inflexibility with not being able to save the 2D Profile Symbol in any other view than Plan/Top and you will then have to rotate the 3D object/Symbol created to the required position/rotation, but it is possible. Or should be.

i've never been very keen on Extrude Along A Path's terrible inadequacies and have had a really hard time getting it to do exactly what i want, so maybe i've missed something here . . . . does it not like 2D Symbols?

As i've said before, there should be an On/Off Switch for this Plan only 2D restriction!!

Thanx Gytis,

i got soooooo tired of "EAAP's" Extremely Poor results i gave up on it some time ago. i've seldom found it capable of doing what it is obviously designed for, either because it couldn't follow the Path i gave it, or it shoved the Profile to the wrong place on the Path. i've also had it continue to extrude off at a tangent for no apparent reason, completely separate from the Path given.

Either way i never obtained the required result.

Not sharing the same table with 2D Symbols is clearly another one of it's unacceptable Quirks!!

Unlocking the "Plan Only" attitude with 2D objects as Symbols would undoubtedly improve matters. "Choice". Remember that?

What about Nurbs or Mesh objects? Would it not work with these as a Profile? These are "flat" 3D objects. Wouldn't this solve the dilemma? Probably not. i'd remember if it did.

So Antone, i obviously put my foot in my mouth again, in which case . . . . .

This also get's my vote!! :)